Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Rod Stuck Together

monger

My 2 piece rod has now decided it wants to be a one piece. It was separating a bit on the lake the other day and I pushed it together while on the water. I tried the old "behind the knees" separation pull, but it didn't budge. Anyone got a trick for separating rods?

run some warm (but not hot) water over the joint for a couple of minutes then if you have a partner take both sections and each of you slowly twist opposite ways while *gently* pulling. this has worked for me in the past; however, I offer no guarantee it would work for anyone else.

I got one apart that had been stuck together for a couple of years, and a number of people had tried pulling it apart.

I froze the inside blank, figuring it might contract just a tad, and sure enough, it worked.

Or maybe it was just that the last person that had tried had loosened it up just enough.

Good luck.

I got one apart that had been stuck together for a couple of years, and a number of people had tried pulling it apart.

I froze the inside blank, figuring it might contract just a tad, and sure enough, it worked.

Or maybe it was just that the last person that had tried had loosened it up just enough.

Good luck.

Can't see why that wouldn't work... if you need to quickly cool it, a can of compressed air (computer cleaner) held upside down will freeze anything quickly. sticky rubber gloves with a twisting motion should separate it.

I bring with me two small pieces of throw rug grip underlay (similar to the jar grippers you can get at some stores)... one above the stuck pieces one below and twist. Works like a charm.

P

My 2 piece rod has now decided it wants to be a one piece. It was separating a bit on the lake the other day and I pushed it together while on the water. I tried the old "behind the knees" separation pull, but it didn't budge. Anyone got a trick for separating rods?

ICE pack, did a couple in the shop last week.

Make certain you use a little wax on the ferrals.

Dave

If/when you get them apart, I recommend that you do not treat the ferrules with anything. Wax makes it stickier and increases the chance of getting stuck (at least until you get a chance to heat it up), and lubricants will make sure it comes apart at just the wrong time. Both treatments are excellent at collecting dirt and sand, which does a fine job of stratching up and wearing out your ferrules. Eventually your rod won't stay together at all.

You've had your object lesson, just don't push them together quite as tight next time. Every couple of hours of fishing, check your rod to be sure it's not coming apart.

Ice packs to the bottom, hair dryer to the top....pull/twist....nothing. So I just got mad and starting really flexing the joint like I was trying to snap it in half....slips apart.

I agree to not adding anything to the joint as it will collect debris.

I'm off to the water...got a date with an 8lber