Fly Fusion Forums

Loop Knots

I started using the rapala knot this spring on my lake flies and have been impressed with it so far.However i find it a little hard to keep the loop small, it also isn't the easiest to tie.

What other loop knots are people using?Any that are easier then the rapala one?

I like Lefty's non-slip loop knot. Similar to the Rapala but a bit easier to tie. I find making the loop smaller is just something that comes with practice.

http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html

I guess i have it wrong then thats the knot i'm calling the rapala.I find it hard to keep the loop from slipping over my cronie when i wrap it around.

I too have started using the non-slip loop knot. I found two keys to keeping the loop small:

1) Have it small to begin with as you pass the line through the eye and back through the overhand knot.

2) Even more so, when tightening, try just pulling on the tag end. I find pulling on the standing line, increases loop size.

Smitty

P.S. Phil Rowley has said on a couple of occasions that he doesn't think a big loop size affects whether the fish will bite or not. So I probably wouldn't get overly concerned about it.

I would agree the loop size doesn't seem to matter as i had loops almost twice the size as my fly and it still caught fish.But it just looks so good when the loop is smaller then the fly.

Like you said Smitty having the half hitch small to begin with helps in loop size.What i found though was after i had struggled to wrap the line around the 3 or 4 times only to find out that the half hitch i created has tightened down so small i can't get the tag end threw.Frustrating to say the least.

............What i found though was after i had struggled to wrap the line around the 3 or 4 times only to find out that the half hitch i created has tightened down so small i can't get the tag end threw.Frustrating to say the least.

I found the same problem, and have adopted a different approach.

Once I've passed the tag end through the eye of the hook and back through the open overhand knot, I tighten it up completely and then form the size of loop I want (i.e. small). It's very easy to get exactly the size you're looking for. Then, using the tag end, I tie two half hitches, and it's done. I've been using it for a couple of years, and have never had one come undone.

Don't know if the resulting knot has a name -- if not, then let's call it Terry's Knot :lol:. Terry

I've had the Kreh knot, or whatever you want to call it, snap on me way too many times. On average I'd say for every fly that got wet connected with that knot, I had to tie it twice. Hard to say how many fish I've lost because of it. Like Crogg, I recommend the UNI knot. That one is a true 99% knot. I also agree with Dave Whitlock; the UNI knot is the only knot you need in flyfishing.

I've had the Kreh knot, or whatever you want to call it, snap on me way too many times. On average I'd say for every fly that got wet connected with that knot, I had to tie it twice. Hard to say how many fish I've lost because of it. Like Crogg, I recommend the UNI knot. That one is a true 99% knot. I also agree with Dave Whitlock; the UNI knot is the only knot you need in flyfishing.

Hence the name...

Weird. I've caught trout, steelhead, and salmon using that knot and never had it fail once. I've even snagged on bottom and had the hook break before the knot. I know plenty of guides who swear by this knot for streamers.

Ya I'm all for the uni,its all i tie for line to line or floro to mono i guess its more of a double uni.The only thing is its not non slip so after most fish you need to retie.One thing i did try was after i passed threw the over hand and made my loop i then tied the uni instead of the clinch seemed to work ok, i used up allot of flouro but way easier to tie.Maybe it should be called the modified uni loop lol.

i consider myself to be a knot junkie. i do industrial rope access for a living in all sorts of places, mostly refineries. i practice and tie knots all day long while at work. The non-slip loop knot is the only knot i use for streamers and droppers. very strong knot and it doesnt compromise to much line strenght. I definatly recommend this knot for streamer fishing and nymphing. gives great presentation and has worked for me for a long time.

tight lines!