Fly Fusion Forums

Cougar Hunting, Cypress Hills

I couple that I know have a cabin in Elkwater. They have a bulletin (Saw for myself) that states that there will be a hunting season for cougar (4 legged kind) in the Cypress Hills. However there will be regulations such as not allowed to use dogs.

I think they need to be thinned out a bit because I believe that there are more out there than they are letting on. I think it's just a matter of time when there will be an incident. Kids, pets, etc.

I believe they thought there was at least 8 a couple of years ago. Lots of prey around to build a population of cats for sure. A little respect for muzzle blasts might not be a bad idea. The turkeys are totally voting yes to the hunt.

Thats what im saying everyone i know who hunts them uses dogs it my understanding that it is near impossible to hunt them without they know your coming before you tie your boots on in the morning is kind of how it was explained to me i think without dogs you would need some sort of bait to bring them to you even then i think they would be to leary to fall for a bait trap Cougars aren't dumb.

A friend of mine was on the cougar crew this past winter and he said there are a large number of Cats for that particular area. They do extremely well with all of the deer, elk and moose around there. So much so that they would leave kills once they were frozen as they could more easily catch something else rather than chew the frozen meat.