Fly Fusion Forums

Rocky Ford, Washington

flyfishersteven

Got to do some fishing at Rocky Ford in Washington this last week. What a great trip it was. You have to drive out to the middle of nowhere in desert (rattlesnake) wasteland and hidden in this wasteland is this jewel of a fishery. About a half mile of water that is spring fed has pools on either end and actual running water in the middle like a fast stream and full of big Rainbows. The only section of green for miles, Flyfishing only, barbless hooks, catch and release. Nothing short of a blast!!!

2007-09-10057.jpg

2007-09-10058.jpg

2007-09-10059.jpg

2007-09-10047.jpg

2007-09-10052.jpg

2007-09-10061.jpg

2007-09-10062.jpg

2007-09-10063.jpg

2007-09-10064.jpg

2007-09-10054.jpg

Wow, what a gem of a creek with beauty Rainbows. Were they rising willingly to the surface?

Thanks for posting.

You have to see it to understand it, but it's not a creek and it's not really a pond. It's almost a cross-breed of the 2 that is spring fed. Very cool place! I did manage to catch one on the surface, but I think it was more dumb luck than anything. Flashy leech patterns were the ticket. I think at it's deepest point it was maybe 6 feet deep. You pretty much sight fish the whole time because it's nice and clear, and shallow, and your not allowed to enter the water.

Without a doubt, the most unique fishing experience I've seen posted on here. The location alone would make it memorable,

then throw in those big stinkin' bows! WOW!

I second that. It's on my itinerary for my big trip next symmer :rolleyes:

Awesome. Looks like an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing.

So, this is a public fishery? Crowded?

The first day there were 30-40 people on the water (labour Day) so it was naturally a lot busier. The second day there was maybe 12. I've heard that it can get crowded and there are certain prime spots that you want to get to before others, but there is a lot of good access that it's not really a big issue.