Fly Fusion Forums

Spruce Meadows Pond

I see a number of you were talking up the trout pond at Spr Mdws as a great place to start kids fishing. Would you suggest it is more for the use of children, or can I take a couple of adult beginners there to teach them how to cast a fly rod, and maybe even get them into a trout? Thx

Why not?! I presume it's not just for children!!

P

I see a number of you were talking up the trout pond at Spr Mdws as a great place to start kids fishing. Would you suggest it is more for the use of children, or can I take a couple of adult beginners there to teach them how to cast a fly rod, and maybe even get them into a trout? Thx

It'd be an excellent spot to learn how to cast! There's lots of back casting room in most spots around the pond.

Hey all ! I just came from the pond at the Meadows , and a security guard with blue lights flashing came over to let us know that the closing time is 9pm .

More importantly , he mentioned that the pond will be closed for 8-9 weeks ( end of July ) . Due to Tournaments . And with all of the participants , horses , and people . They want to keep the public out , for fishing .

And the closure will begin tomorrow morning .

Another fella who was there , said he will investigate tomorrow and find out from the head office and let everyone know on here .

I had to check it out , I had an itch that I had to scratch one way or another . To the pond I went for the first time .

The lil fishies are more than willing to participate . 4 in an hr , 12" average and they were rising sporadically . After trying everything else that I could figure , they finally liked my tempting with a dry Caddis ( Elk hair) . And they werent picky . Just have to cast, let it sit still for a few minutes . And wait

. Scrappy little guys , and they try to run , and run . Was fun.

Looks like it'll be a while before we can go play , again .

When its tournament time you can't get near the place nor do you want to. The traffic and parking is nuts. But for those weeks or days they have nothing going on the pond is a great place to go. Just go to there website and check out the tournaments and plan around that.

http://www.sprucemeadows.com/tournaments/ Aug might be a good month to go.

Another great pond is Mitford pond in Cochrane. Come on out for some McKays then hit the pond for a bit.

Based on the schedule BBT posted, I see no tournaments starting today. First one doesn't go until next week.

Not sure why they would ban anyone starting today?

Continental is on this weekend, spent many evenings picnicking at the lake last summer, just made sure not to go on any of the weekends that an event was on. http://www.sprucemeadows.com/experience/

Was out there this aft with my nephew.. Pretty slow - didn't see one fish landed - about 5 - 6 others out). I got a few bites and one hook-up but didn't land anything. My nephew (12) tried his hand at fly casting and did ok for his first time. @%$&*# broke the tip off of my 5 wt pulling it out of the tube. Water was pretty murky according to one older fellow - he also mentioned that it was quite good before all the rain (said he caught 30 one evening). There were a few risers (chronies - I think) and all my takes were on a black/green sparkle leech. Nothing on the black ice cream cone or any other nymph or dry I tried. Saw a few back swimmers... Anyway, the place has potential.

Oh and we saw a bobber swim by a few times - tried to catch it but couldn't LoL

P