Fly Fusion Forums

Sod Or Seed ?

We are building a house, with posession date being sometime this winter, as a result I will be doing some yard work next spring. I have never seeded a yard, went the easy way in the past with sod and it was alright, substantially more expensive than seeding, but then again I had the instant lawn.

What are your thoughts on seeding? is it worth the savings? how about soil preparation, what is required other than levelling it?

When my wife and I built in Cranston a few years back, we seeded, for the reason that it was much less expensive. It grew in great, and was a real strong root too. I was super impressed with how well, and how fast, it grew in. If we were to re-do it today, we'd likely have to do the sod. We have to small children and a dog now, so we would need an instant lawn. Before, we had the time, so we seeded. We were very happy with the results. Depending on the seed, you should see grass in a couple weeks, and be mowing in about a month and a half or so. Strictly depending on the weather and how often you water it and what kind of sun it gets.

We had our sprinkler set up on a timer to run for 15 minutes about four times a day. Gotta keep the ground wet for seeding. Even more so than sodding. I also raked the seed in so that it was under some soil as opposed to sitting on top the whole time.

I guess it just depends on weather you need an instant lawn or not. I was very happy with the seeding and would do it again in a minute if we didn't need the instant lawn.

Seed.

Sod is for the generation of instant gratification. Sod farms (industrial factory farms) rape the landscape, taking water from rivers and topsoil from the land.

Better yet, go with a more drought tolerant ground cover... clover, moss, even thyme.

:D

I have three dogs and limited grass. Every year I have to reseed due to the damage their urine inflicts on the grass. A bag of seed that cover approx 2000 sq ft will cost you around $18. Sod is around $3.50 for a six foot by 2 foot piece. If you do what I do which is overseed by at least twice the recommended instructions, you will have a VERY thick lawn in less than 3 weeks. However, it's the prep that is the most important thing and keeping it moist and covered in a thin layer of soil.

FHD

I have seeded & have sodded. if you have the time seeding is superior, better root system,thicker lawn & cheaper. As far as the best results, prep is the key, good top soil, rent a wide lanscaping rake 3'-4' wide to find the high & low spots, rent a lawn roller to pack, good seed for our area of north america,then water a lot for 2 purposes, so lawn has water to grow & to keep the seed on the lawn in case of wind, & keep everyone off.Then a couple of week a beautiful lawn, & coin saved for a new rod.

Whether you sod or seed, good soil prep is the key. If you spread a couple of inches of top soil over the subsoil and plant on that, your lawn will be crap and never amount to much. There are many good books available at the Library that give guidance.

Also, as Harps said, think about some Xeriscaping or putting flower beds rather than a sea of grass, it's a lot friendlier for the environment.

Mike

I haven't tried this myself, but I saw a fellow seed his new lawn with a mixture of grass seed and wheat. The wheat sprouted way faster than the grass seed. The wheat roots held the soil together providing a solid base for the more fragile grass. The first winter killed the wheat leaving a nicely established grass lawn the next season. It looked good to me.