Fly Fusion Forums

Casting Coach Or Walk And Wade

After meeting up with Villy(Jason) from the BBM fly fishing group (started here and in my mind successful) I have come to the conclusion that I need some help with my casting. I have been fly fishing for about 5 years about 2 quite diligently. I have been fishing on my own for most of the time and have not developed the presentation that I would like.

Can anyone recomend a casting coach or a walk and wade that will help me with this?

I find that I am getting increasingly frustrated on the water and no longer believe that I do not have the right tackle, but instead need some help with the presentation.

After meeting up with Villy(Jason) from the BBM fly fishing group (started here and in my mind successful) I have come to the conclusion that I need some help with my casting. I have been fly fishing for about 5 years about 2 quite diligently. I have been fishing on my own for most of the time and have not developed the presentation that I would like.

Can anyone recomend a casting coach or a walk and wade that will help me with this?

I find that I am getting increasingly frustrated on the water and no longer believe that I do not have the right tackle, but instead need some help with the presentation.

Jim and Linda could get you sorted out in short order.

http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/index1.htm

I'd go with a casting coach instead of walk and wade simply because you'll be focusing 100% on casting technique rather than catching fish. I've taken one of Jim's courses and he's great to learn from. Fish Tales, Country Pleasures, and South Bow probably also run casting clinics/lessons that I don't think you could go wrong with.

I second the Jim McLennan idea. I have taken two courses from him, the Beginner Fly Fishing Course and the Intermediate Course (Listening to the Bow). If you are as new to Fly Fishing as you suggest, my personal recommendation is the beginner Fly Fishing Course. They focus on the basic fundamentals of fly fishing, including proper casting techniques. He's a great instructor and will help you in several areas.

Just my two cents.

I would submit that casting technique when learning to fish a river is the least important aspect. Proper presentation is WAY more important in my opinion, and additionally, any walk and wade guide will also be able to help with casting. This is just my opinion, and could be influenced by the fact that I have never taken a casting class, and probably never will. I'd rather spend that time fishing........

Rick, I somewhat agree with you if we're talking about high stick, Czech, or general indicator nymphing, but not for dry flies. A good cast allows you to put the fly exactly where you want it with a good presentation the second it touches the water through reach casts, stack mends, etc. so that it's fishing longer. Also, having a good cast and different casting techniques at your disposal allows you to cast to fish that you might not be able to otherwise because of distance, obstacles, wind, and so on.

No problem Marc. I understand what you are saying, I just have a different opinion. I think presentation is pretty independent of type of fly used frankly. I caught plenty of fish with dries last year, and was not faced with many situations that a particular cast would have helped me out (with the possible exception of one fish under a tree that BBT pulled out on me). It does happen, but really, not all that often. And I fished 10-15 different bodies of water last year? I would say that of the handful of picky fish that I did not catch that someone else did, the issue was drag, not cast. Again, came down to presentation.

I also accept that many will not agree with me on this. I'm ok with that. Here is my philosophy: If you want to catch fish, then learn things in this order: Behaviour, presentation, food, casting (I know there are many other factors, just simplifying). If you want to impress your friends, put casting first. You might be prepared for more situations, but you won't catch as many fish.

Depends on the objective. If it's simply to get line out on the water with little impact and great distance, or for - say for nymphing or streamers - a casting coach is great. If you can already cast 30 feet reasonably well and want to be able to wade up to a rising or sighted fish and have a chance at it, then a day with a wade guide is the way to go. To see the people I've seen come to New Zealand or our brown trout streams here, and rely on casting without the fundamentals of being a good wade fly fisher, it's amazing. Anyone who can cast a 30 foot straight line and mend reasonably well should be able to have a good chance at every single trout encountered. If you don't have that kind of confidence on the water, I'd spend time with a wade guide to get the fundamentals of good wade fishing. A good guide focusses on the parameters the guest hopes to acheive. Numbers of fish are nice, but a mature guide is able to share so much more. There are several very good ones about, but you'll need to sus out the differences for what you're looking for.

For anyone that was wondering the same thing or is having problems. After posting this thread I also received quite a few PMs with some recommendations for people that could help All were highly recomended. Here is the list, in no particular order'

Hawgstoppah

Toolman

Maxwell

I ended up going out with Brian (Hawgstoppah) yesterday and we had a great day. There was some changes to what I was doing and I am confident that this will be a summer of fish. Brian was great to work with.

Anyone else having a bit of trouble or new to the sport, I definately would suggest working with someone for a day. I has made a huge difference in my fishing. All these guys were highly recomended.

Here is a 22"(measured) that I caught while out yesterday after the mud hit the water.

post-4051-1305117310.jpg

Nice fish...I know because I think I recognize that sore/growth on the lip...I caught a very similar fish a few weeks ago although I think the growth may have been on the other side but the size was the same...I was downstream a ways from the southland ped bridge on the east side..are those sores common?...

I never even noticed it until you pointed it out. Weird. I know he had a bit of scarring / sores on his back too. I was more concerned with snapping a quick shot for Greg and keeping it in the drink. :)

Might have been the same fish, we were in that area yesterday... did you notice how dirty the water got around about 2pm until 5'ish? before then it was quite clear in town.

Nice Job Greg

Can't wait to get out again and see the new skillz/

I went out from about 5-7 last night. Chocolate was the word, tons of bug life, but tough fishing for sure. Managed 1 small rainbow that would have made a nice meal for your monster before I called it quits.

J

Yeah went out for a float yesterday and put in at 17th about 1130. At that point they shut the gates for the weir and it took about 1/2 an hour for things to murk up... Didn't do much for the fishing...

P

Guest JayVee

Yep...you're about to enjoy fly fishing a whole lot more than you used to :)

Nice fish!! And there will be many more. Congrats!