Fly Fusion Forums

Thank God I Don't Golf

Folks,

I fish 130 days or so/year and usually am out about 6 hours average or 780 hours.

Now I had a look @ golf green fees for 18 holes in Central Ab. Ran about 37.50 for about 5 hours or $7.50/hr.

Now if I paid that much to fish it would have cost me $5850.00/year.

Makes what I used to pay @ 28/yr pretty cheap. Mind you, this past year I turned 65 so now I'm protected by the Govt like farmers, fishermen and whooping cranes. Life is good!!!

Don

$37.50 average wow, i would have thought more around $70.If you get a cart a few beers and a sandwich its $100.Never mind the lost balls.

mind the fact that u can lose alot of flies too! a shuttle service, beer and gas> and u are into a c-note in no time> and don't forget Tim Hortons in the morning too!

Folks,

I fish 130 days or so/year and usually am out about 6 hours average or 780 hours.

Now I had a look @ golf green fees for 18 holes in Central Ab. Ran about 37.50 for about 5 hours or $7.50/hr.

Now if I paid that much to fish it would have cost me $5850.00/year.

Makes what I used to pay @ 28/yr pretty cheap. Mind you, this past year I turned 65 so now I'm protected by the Govt like farmers, fishermen and whooping cranes. Life is good!!!

Don

That's a fun comparison Don, but there are certainly a lot of variables.

I have much more experience as a golfer than a fly fisherman, as I've only FF for 4 years, & have golfed ( or at least tried to ) for much longer.

I have one set of golf clubs, that will suit me for where ever I play.

I don't need 3, 4 or 5 different rods & matched reels etc. etc,.

One type of golf ball will do me fine; I don't have to worry about what the little shits are feeding on.

Will a $900 driver improve my game: sure if I know what I'm doing with it.

Will a $900 fly rod catch me more fish: sure if I know what I'm doing with it.

Both activities are fairly expensive, & we are so lucky to be able to pursue both.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

when i was in high school i worked the Hamptons and Glen Eagles. I never used anything but brand name balls and new equipment front the proshops, we got free drinks from the "cart tarts" and some great fish...i still dont know if i could smack a Calaway as far as a Titalist.

ruff,

Ya, comparisions are kinda fun.

Think of it this way. The green is always moving, the hole is kinda receptive. You make your best putt, the ball falls in the hole and is quickly spit back in your direction and the hole disappears for an hour or so. All the while the course police are yelling @ you to hurry up as there are others that want to play as well.

What you did forget is the dress code. Now golfers get to dress in pastels - off white, lavender and the like. They are also expected to smell good and grass stains on any part of their anatomy may result in a summons by the golfing police and quick ejection off the course.

Whereas ---

Fishermen get to dress in rubber suits and frankly - get to smell bad. Dirt is appreciated and grass stains on your knees doesn't solicit comment and is frankly admired by those that recognize the craftiness of the angler. Fishermen and particularly FF types get to wear funky hats although it seems like the capo of today tends to reflect advertising by this or that rod company rather than fishermen of old who tended to reflect beer ads. Still, the FF hats with their complete tops just have to be a step in the right direction although both hats of Ff types and ball floggers still focus on ball caps - the forerunner of skin cancer.

But there are two real big differences:

1] is balls vs flies. Balls tend to "stick" out when in the environment and nobody ever names their golf balls whereas flies, who are tied to blend into nature, hide when dropped. And the names - Thunder and Lightning, Tup's Indispensable and who can forget the Chernobyl Ant trip off FF lips without embarrassment.

2] The score- golfers count and the lower the count, apparently the better they did whereas fishermen who count are seen as weird by many and are shunned by their companions and society in general. FF types believe somehow that fishing is all about "being out". Golfers could really give sweet tweet about the out part and only worry about the "score".

Now equipment is where the difference really shows up. There are few if any golfers who make their own balls, craft their own clubs, repair their own shoes or for that matter do much of anything about the craft of golf. It's all about the "score": FF types are more pragmatic or maybe a little cheaper - well maybe more than a little - make that very cheap. They make this and that, rods, flies, leaders and there are some I've heard of make their own lines. Not only that, but due to the lack of dress code, some of them don't really dress in rubber suits preferring to address their manhood by finding how high their voice rises when the water deepens.

And while I could go on and on. one thing is readily apparent. Golf by it's nature requires manipulation of the environment tweaking the landscape to make the course somewhat but not too challenging. After all, the golf course wants them back to spend money. Now FF types abhor changes in the rivers environment and have been known to fight tooth and nail to preserve the landscape.

So there ya' go, a rapid look @ why some golf and why some fish. The cheap fish, the rest golf.

catch ya'

Don

All of those are very good comparisons. I have not golfed since I rekindled my love affair with FF.

Here is what does it for me.

- a round of golf is at least a 4-5 hour commitment. I can go out FF for an hour of 2 after dinner if I want.

- I can make FF what I want. It can be a solitary activity, family activity or an activity with buddies, or new people I dont know. Golf tends to be in a group of 4, which is not what I want some days.

- FF is as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it after you invest in rod, line, flies. Green fees are mandatory every time you golf, unless you sneak onto the course, but I have not done that since I was a kid.

- Golf balls & flies are both consumables. I tend to lose alot less flies than golf balls.

- I have never laid awake at night thinking about the the golf shot that got away

There are so many reasons why I like FF over golf.

Andrew

That's a fun comparison Don, but there are certainly a lot of variables.

I have much more experience as a golfer than a fly fisherman, as I've only FF for 4 years, & have golfed ( or at least tried to ) for much longer.

I have one set of golf clubs, that will suit me for where ever I play.

I don't need 3, 4 or 5 different rods & matched reels etc. etc,.

One type of golf ball will do me fine; I don't have to worry about what the little shits are feeding on.

Will a $900 driver improve my game: sure if I know what I'm doing with it.

Will a $900 fly rod catch me more fish: sure if I know what I'm doing with it.

Both activities are fairly expensive, & we are so lucky to be able to pursue both.

Maybe the level of expertise enters into it.

Most of you are probably better fisherman than I will ever be, but I could probably have kicked most of your butts on a golf course.

I have had days ( years ago ) golfing when I have made many of hundred's of dollars playing against my friends in Nassau matches.

I think I once made $5.00 on a bet that was for the biggest fish caught in a day. I think is was about 10 inches long.

The Masters winner today won $1.44 million.

As for those of you who are concerned about losing golf balls, all you have to do is train them a little better; short grass when you are golfing, water when you are fishing.

Also keep in mind that the people you are golfing with will have lots of golf balls, just like fly fishers will have a ton more flies than necessary, so while they are busy cursing over a poor shot, help yourself to their supply. LOL

Also don't forget that while golfing, pretty young ladies are out in beverage carts to make sure that you don't get dehydrated.

Which ever way you go it's pretty tough to beat these two activities, & you don't have to be a good athlete to do either.

I love them both.

This sums up my style of golf:

For all my golfing friends,

Many of you may not realize it, but I've been very busy over the last year putting my thoughts and ideas together in a book on how to play the game of Golf to be published in the Summer of 2011.

I believe my new book on Golf will give the reader valuable playing tips and insider information that I've gained through my years of lessons, struggle and experimentation.

I am very proud of the results, and to assist with marketing, I am asking friends and family to help me out. I hope you find this a useful tool to help you enjoy your game much more while you enjoy the great outdoors.

The cost will only be $99.95. Don't wait until they're all gone !!!!

Table of Contents of my new Golf book:

Chapter 1 - How to Properly Line Up Your Fourth Putt.

Chapter 2 - How to Hit a Nike from the Rough, when you Hit a Titleist from the Tee.

Chapter 3 - How to Avoid the Water When You Lie 8 in a Bunker.

Chapter 4 - How to Get More Distance off the Shank.

Chapter 5 - When to Give the Ranger the Bird.

Chapter 6 - Using Your Shadow on the Greens to Maximize Earnings.

Chapter 7 - When to Implement Handicap "Management".

Chapter 8 - Proper Excuses for Drinking Beer Before 9:00 AM.

Chapter 9 - How to Rationalize a 6-Hour Round.

Chapter 10 - When Does a Divot Become Classified as Sod.

Chapter 11 - How to Find That Ball That Everyone Else Saw Go in the Water.

Chapter 12 - Why Your Spouse Doesn't Care that You Birdied the 5th Hole.

Chapter 13 - Using Curse Words Creatively to Control Ball Flight.

Chapter 14 - When to Let a Foursome Play through Your Twosome.

Chapter 15 - How to Relax When You Are Hitting Five Off the Tee.

Chapter 16 - When to Suggest Major Swing Corrections to Your Opponents.

Chapter 17 - God and the Meaning of the Birdie-to-Bogey-Three-Putt..

Chapter 18 - When to Regrip Your Ball Retriever.

Chapter 19 - Throwing Your Clubs: An Effective Stress-Reduction Technique.

Sub-section: Retrieving a Club from the Water Hazard without Getting Wet.

Chapter 20 - Can You Purchase a Better Golf Game?

Chapter 21 - Why Male Golfers Will Pay $6 a Beer From the Cart Girl and Give Her a $4 Tip, but will balk at $4 a Beer at the 19th Hole and then Stiff the Bartender.

Thanking you in advance for your order, again, I'm hoping to have it published in time for the start of the Summer Golf Season of 2011