Fly Fusion Forums

Pram Build

I've always wanted to try building one so these past few weeks I've been gathering materials, reading plans and so forth.Since this was gonna be my first build i thought i would try to keep it cheap.So this meant not using marine plywood, just to much$ for a first attempt.So i chose to use Baltic birch plywood, price was right very strong wood only thing is it comes 5'x5' so some scarfing was in order.

boatbuild003medium.jpg

First i ran a power plainer over it to remove some of the material .Then the jig runs with the grain 1/2" at a time 96 times i moved it.

boatbuild004medium.jpg

boatbuild005medium.jpg

A little sanding to clean it up

boatbuild007medium.jpg

A little epoxy and some glass an I'll have 10' plywood.

boatbuild008medium.jpg

To be contiued....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D,

You don't know!! <--poke--<

inglesina_classica_pram_marina.jpg

Baby transport (or child carrier, stroller, perambulator, pram, or baby carrier) consists of devices for transporting and carrying infants. A "child carrier" or "baby carrier" is a device used to carry an infant or small child on the body of an adult. Such on-the-body carriers are designed in various forms such as baby slings, backpack carriers, and soft front or hip carriers, with varying materials and degrees of rigidity, decoration, support and confinement of the child.

A "baby carriage" (in North American English), "pram" (in British English) or "carrycot" is generally used for newborn babies and have the infant lying down facing the pusher.

A "stroller" (North American English) or "push chair" or "buggy" (British English) has the child (generally up to three years old) in a sitting position, usually facing forwards, instead of facing the pusher

Sheesh!!

:P

P

WTF is a Pram?

:unsure:

D,

You don't know!! <--poke--<

inglesina_classica_pram_marina.jpg

Baby transport (or child carrier, stroller, perambulator, pram, or baby carrier) consists of devices for transporting and carrying infants. A "child carrier" or "baby carrier" is a device used to carry an infant or small child on the body of an adult. Such on-the-body carriers are designed in various forms such as baby slings, backpack carriers, and soft front or hip carriers, with varying materials and degrees of rigidity, decoration, support and confinement of the child.

A "baby carriage" (in North American English), "pram" (in British English) or "carrycot" is generally used for newborn babies and have the infant lying down facing the pusher.

A "stroller" (North American English) or "push chair" or "buggy" (British English) has the child (generally up to three years old) in a sitting position, usually facing forwards, instead of facing the pusher

Sheesh!!

:P

P

Ya. That was kinda what I thought.

WHAT was I thinking......

Just dont glue it to the kitchen table. It should be warm enough for epxoy work in the garage, no?

Andrew

I have the #2 hardener or intermediate temperature,it says a min. temp of 13c for curing.I should have maybe got the #1 it sets quicker and says it needs only 2c to cure.

Cold or not ,next week I'm gluing.I was just trying to avoid having my garage furnace run full time.

Well i managed to get a little shop time today between shoveling snow.A couple weeks back i managed to score some Sapele wood from a co worker, its reddish brown similar to mahogany very straight grain.This has a little oil on it.

boatbuild020large.jpg

Most of the pieces i got were cut offs from wider boards so most have a taper but i can get 2"x 10' pieces from them.Some of them are a little smaller so a little time through the table saw to straighten them some biscuits to help keep them in line.

boatbuild010large.jpg

boatbuild013large.jpg

some polyurethane glue and a bunch of clamps and i have some more 2.5"x10' pieces for gunnel's.

boatbuild015large.jpg

I'll plain these down to hide the joint and store them elevated between two supports with some weight in the middle to start pre bending them for the inner and outer gunnel's.

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up Sat am looked outside,guess I'm working on the boat with a foot of snow outside.

Cranked the heat up to 70F in the garage and coated the scarfs with plain FG resin this helps seal off the end grain and gives the epoxy glue something to stick too.

boatbuild021medium.jpg

I let them sit for 8 hours then coated them with the epoxy glue ,lined them up so there flush to each other and added some weights.Remember to put plastic between the wood and the bench .

boatbuild023medium.jpg

I used plastic bags but i think something stiffer would work better as wrinkles formed in the epoxy that oozed out .

boatbuild026medium.jpg

I sanded it out and re-applied with a straight edge and filled in the dip from the scarf.

boatbuild040medium.jpg

I ordered some plans off the net but after looking at the sizes i think its a bit too narrow at the bow so I'm just winging it here and came up with my own design.

boatbuild030medium.jpg

boatbuild028medium.jpg

boatbuild032medium.jpg

Should have the sides cut out some time this week and be able to stitch some off this together this weekend.

Guest JayVee

Nice job Mike...thanks for posting the pictures. I used to woodwork in another life, as a hobby, but fairly seriously. I miss it a lot. Lot's of nostalgia reading this. Nice Besseys!

Instead of plastic sheet use wax paper under glued pieces. Nothing sticks to it and not prone to wrinkling or stretching.

X2

I've got a 36" wide roll of the heavy duty wax paper they used to use for vapour barriers, and it is the absolute best for this purpose.

I'm really enjoying this thread -- Tungsten, keep the pictures coming. And btw, you appear to have even more clamps than Norm. :lol: Terry