Fly Fusion Forums

Annual Reminder, Buy Your Alberta Sportsfishing Licence

Reminder from old Doc,

Your 2010 License expires on March 31, the new licenses went on sale today. Stop in to your local retailer or buy online.

Please please read your regulations.

Report a poacher, I made a few bucks last year reporting poachers. The phone number is on the back of your licence.

Free fishing weekends for 2011 are scheduled for the following dates:

* February 18-20, 2012

* July 9-10

On these dates, Albertans and visitors alike can fish without a licence on any public water body that

* has an open fishing season

* does not lie within a National Park

Take care and keep safe on the water, have a great season guys and gals.

While we're doing reminders, don't forget that if you buy your license online, you won't be able to get a reprint from a license vendor, in the event you leave home without your license. Similarly, if you buy your license from a vendor, you won't be able to do a reprint from your computer. Dumb system, but that's the way it is. Terry

That's why I buy online and print off multiple copies right away - one goes in my fishing bag, another in my wallet, and another in my glovebox.

Good idea...that means I should probably print of 20 copies or so...Think it would count if you somehow made it into a .pdf and put it on your iPhone?

Good idea...that means I should probably print of 20 copies or so...Think it would count if you somehow made it into a .pdf and put it on your iPhone?

I've wondered the same thing, but since your license is only valid when you've signed it I don't think so. Maybe if you printed it, signed it, scanned it, then saved that to your phone it would be ok. Might be worth emailing SRD to find out for sure.

Hi Silver Doctor

Not particularly interested in rewards, but I would like to put a damper on these a-holes.

Any info on how to report these people is appreciated.

I know what the CO's say, but is that realistic?

Do you confront these people & tell them what they are doing is illegal & record license numbers ( not sure how you do that ), take pictures or what?

Any info is appreciated.

rap.png

You should never confront, its not you job, steamed or not, observe and report. I normally stroll by and have a peek, ask if they are having any luck and chat. Many times its been people on the other side of the river. I carry Binoculars to study rises so. Pretty obvious most of the time just the way people act, like packing up when you get close or guilty looks. Many times it's a stringer of trout in the water. If it is obvious I Phone RAP, I have it programed into my phone. The number is on the back of your license also and I have it memorized. As for pictures, personal discretion please, don't do anything that would put you in harms way or break the law. More info on how to report here.

It's amazing how few people actually read their regulations and take into consideration water closures, bag limits etc. They often move to Alberta from elsewhere, sometimes out of country and bring their previous knowledge with them (well you can use live bate in Ontario). Or it's jut rank arrogance and stupidity with no regard for the waters or fellow anglers. Many eyes on the water help protect our fishery.

Be careful on the water and keep well

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Silver Doctor

Not particularly interested in rewards, but I would like to put a damper on these a-holes.

Any info on how to report these people is appreciated.

I know what the CO's say, but is that realistic?

Do you confront these people & tell them what they are doing is illegal & record license numbers ( not sure how you do that ), take pictures or what?

Any info is appreciated.

rap.png

You should never confront, its not you job, steamed or not, observe and report. I normally stroll by and have a peek, ask if they are having any luck and chat. Many times its been people on the other side of the river. I carry Binoculars to study rises so. Pretty obvious most of the time just the way people act, like packing up when you get close or guilty looks. Many times it's a stringer of trout in the water. If it is obvious I Phone RAP, I have it programed into my phone. The number is on the back of your license also and I have it memorized. As for pictures, personal discretion please, don't do anything that would put you in harms way or break the law. More info on how to report here.

It's amazing how few people actually read their regulations and take into consideration water closures, bag limits etc. They often move to Alberta from elsewhere, sometimes out of country and bring their previous knowledge with them (well you can use live bate in Ontario). Or it's jut rank arrogance and stupidity with no regard for the waters or fellow anglers. Many eyes on the water help protect our fishery.

Be careful on the water and keep well

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the helpful information SilverDoctor.

I do most of my fishing in areas where there is no cell phone reception, so there's little i can do. I could drive the 10+K to a payphone. Maybe this year if I see a dude carrying a 20" Cutty up to his truck in a C&R area and then going back to fish for more. A friend saw this last year at the parking lot above the OMR Falls. I would drive the 10k no problem.

Personally I haven't seen any major violations, but I have heard of lots in the area. Go get 'em!!

That is one problem with the mountain streams, but there is a solution and it is programs such as Stream Watch. When law enforcement can make a presence in a area year after year, the offenders tend to not go there anymore, espically the poachers. Unforntantly programs such as StreamWatch needs fundings hence why an annual donation plus particiapating in fundraiser is very important.

I remeber the first year for Stream Watch on the Oldman River, Me and Toolman (Neil happened to be there also) went up to Lethbridge for the Dinner and Auction (Three helpings of Alberta Beef was sure delicious) and had a great time.

REMEBER TO SUPPORT ALL FUND RAISING THAT PUTS LAW ENFORCEMENT ON THE RIVERS, STREAMS, CREEKS, ETC... THAT WE ALL LOVE TO FISH.

Thanks for the reminder about licenses.

Didn't know you could do it online at home, I was able to renew my WIN card and buy this years license while watching New Flyfisher and Flymax re-runs on Saturday. Now I am primed and ready for the upcoming season.

Cheers