Fly Fusion Forums

What Makes A Rod A Saltwater Rod?

darrinhurst

I have my mind on maybe getting a 9'6" 6wt to replace my 9'0" 6wt rod.

I have been looking online for some options and some of the rods I have come across, like a Sage VT2, for example, is being advertised as a Saltwater rod. What's the difference? Can I use this rod on the Bow even though it's not Saltwater?

I have my mind on maybe getting a 9'6" 6wt to replace my 9'0" 6wt rod.

I have been looking online for some options and some of the rods I have come across, like a Sage VT2, for example, is being advertised as a Saltwater rod. What's the difference? Can I use this rod on the Bow even though it's not Saltwater?

You can use the rod where ever you want, it just means that the components won't corroide in salt water. I would consider the Loop Multi as well, sweet stick.

Along with components that won't corrode, a salt water rod tends to be a faster action rod that will more easily punch through the ever present wind and has a bit more back bone for hauling in fish that pound per pound tend to fight and/or run more than fresh water fish. You'll typically see more fighting butts on salt water rods. I know a few guys that prefer salt water rods on the Bow especially for chucking streamers because of their faster action.

I think the VT2 was a medium fast action rod, and I don't believe as popular of a salt water rod as the Xi2/Xi3 or the TCR/TCX (perhaps because of the action). Seems to be a pretty versatile rod, and can be found for a good price.

I also found a Hardy StreamFlex that sounds pretty good. Not a saltwater rod, but a good price none the less.

Perhaps you mean Greys. Still excellent.

in some cases it also means an X-lengthed rod will have a full wells grip, fighting butt, and aluminium reel seat.

Sage was mentioned earlier. The new VPX rods have two 690-4 models (one really a 6901-4). The latter is a full wells fighting butt model. Could be marketed as a Salt Rod.

Dedicated sal rods will be designed for their particular purpose, with the VPX 691-4 most likely being a modified trout taper.