Fly Fusion Forums

Camera Stores

Looking at probably blowing my tax refund on a Rebel T2i or T3i (though the T2i seems like just as good, minus a few little niceties for less money), and wondering where i should be looking for the best deal and customer service. Cannot stand the big box places anymore

How about "The Camera Store"?

Imagine that...

Actually I have never been in the store but have bought mail order items from them several times at very good prices. They seem to have a very good rep and the people I have spoken to at the store know their stuff.

Vistek is good too, at least in Edmonton.

The Camera Store is okay. I've warrantied a lens through them and the service was relatively fast. They tried to sell me a used printer though that was marked as new and wouldn't have been refunded post-purchase. If I hadn't opened the box before buying it I would have been screwed and they didn't apologize for the screw up. I didn't feel to good about that. The staff are reasonably knowledgeable but I've found that there isn't much you can't just learn on the internet. So now I just do my research and find the best price.

Got ours @ McBain here in Red Deer because the staff are consistent (same people for the past 10+ yrs) and we know that they will have the product or know how to get the product, and know what you are trying to accomplish and make good suggestions. The staff are also well trained and well versed in PK, and good communicators. The price aspect is within reason of other places to know that by spending $50 more here or there you know that you are going to get good stuff, be well taken care of, and get a little more info than other places. We don't spend a lot of time in the store (we're not groupies by any means) but when we do go there, it's always very positive. We've heard other McBain stores are similar.

Cheers

Bcube, what are your intentions with the t2i/t3i? Reason that I ask is because if you just plan on using it for photos, I would recommend the t1i. If you do plan on using the video, the t3i includes an articulating screen which I feel would be very useful for video, also the manual levels adjustment for their audio. I own the T2i, I was originally looking at the T1i but I wanted some decent video capability. Overall I'm quite happy with it, a great bang for the buck.

One other route you could take if money is a big issue; some of the photography forums that I'm on I've seen people trying to offload their used t2i for around 500-600 dollars to upgrade to the t3i - (www.photography-on-the-net.com)

If you are set on going the route of new, then there is a website called www.photoprice.ca that will do a price comparison within canada where you can get it the cheapest. I went this route, and ordered my camera online instead of buying locally, I was able to get it cheaper.

Hope this helps.