Fly Fusion Forums

Guess What She Packed Home

Guys/Gals,

Wife was to a "Sustainable Community" meeting today and packed back a water bottle made of aluminum.

On the side is painted the following:

1] Plastic bottles are made from a petroleum derivative and the reusable bottles are a much better alternative.

2] 1500 water bottles end up as garbage every second!

3] Nearly 8 of 10 bottles end up in landfill.

4] In 2006, it took more than 17,000,000 barrels of oil [excluding the oil used in transporting the plastic] to produce plastic water bottles.

5] It takes more than three liters of water to produce one liter of bottled water

6] only 13% of water bottles are recycled

What's up with this type of advertising. Don't the people who produce this crap realize that Alberta sells oil - the more we sell - the more money we make. Even the Feds are sucking on the oil tax tit. Everybody likes to sell oil. More bottles to the landfill is one solution to provide prosperity for everyone. :wave_smile:

Don

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/u...-ppt-powerpoint

I have been in the patch over 30 years now. But there are still some realities that are hard to swallow. In some parts of the world I have worked in, plastic bags hang like leaves on the trees. The amount of plastic around the world is not a good thing. Oil patch or not. <--poke--<

Here is some recycling of plastics in another part of the world.

IndiaJanuary2009274.jpg

IndiaJanuary2009276.jpg

Interesting photos! Having been in India quite recently we saw 1st hand how they dispose of there plastic water bottles - right out the train window (with the rest of their garbage)!! At least our "recyclers" get a pretty penny to collect... Some parts of India give a (very minimal) refund (deposit), most places do not...

P

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/u...-ppt-powerpoint

I have been in the patch over 30 years now. But there are still some realities that are hard to swallow. In some parts of the world I have worked in, plastic bags hang like leaves on the trees. The amount of plastic around the world is not a good thing. Oil patch or not. <--poke--<

Here is some recycling of plastics in another part of the world.

IndiaJanuary2009274.jpg

IndiaJanuary2009276.jpg

Interesting photos! Having been in India quite recently we saw 1st hand how they dispose of there plastic water bottles - right out the train window (with the rest of their garbage)!! At least our "recyclers" get a pretty penny to collect... Some parts of India give a (very minimal) refund (deposit), most places do not...

P

Yeah India is quiet the place. Those photos are from Mumbai.

Yeah it is quite the place... Mumbai was "interesting" - my eyes never stopped stinging! I'd go back to India in a heartbeat!!

P

Yeah I know and fogging the plane was an experience as well. India certainly has its mysteries, its people are so resilient, the coal dust is bad, same with Delhi, but the food is great and I liked the yards of ale at the Leopold cafe. Yeah I would go back to work there any day. Where you there during the rainy season?

Don

More statistics

* North America produced 7,000,000,000 kg (7 billion kg) of newsprint last year (This is a fact.) Maybe we should ban books and newspapers perhaps..use is declining for sure.

* There are 200,000,000,000 kg (200 billion kg) of sea water for every person on earth (This is a fact....just a fun number.)

* The average member of the Rocky Sustainability Committee drinks 13.74 cups of Tim Horton's coffee per year..in paper cups so they can Roll up the Rim to Win.

* 79.873 percent of all statistics are made up ... a Spoonerism with no basis in fact. :P

If the Rocky Sustainability Committee says only 13 percent of plastic water bottles are recycled, they sure as hell are doing a piss poor job and should disband. :P

Don ... a bit more seriously ... actually I am serious...do a survey of the Rocky Sustainability Committee and find out the average size of house that the committee members live in...square feet per person. If it is more than about 500 square feet per person .. well they need to rethink their lifestyles perhaps and not worry so much about plastic water bottles. They are not living a sustainable or green lifestyle if living in houses larger than their real needs. :P (There is a local green-weenie here who loves to extol the virtues of a green lifestyle. Her and her hubby own two [count 'em TWO] homes that total at least 4,000 sq ft. .. that's about 2,000 sq feet each...way too big for anyone who professes to lead a green lifestyle. One of their homes is a cottage some 140 km away and they burn perhaps 20 tanks of gasoline each year to drive to their solar heated summer place. Huh?! I am most happy for them, but it seems they ain't livin' the green mantra they espouse.)

BTW we use plastic water bottles sparingly (they are damn handy when you are on the road) and recycle 100% of the ones we do buy.

:goodvsevil():

Clive

Clive,

To allay your fears. The bottle was paid for, according to the advertising, by a Logging company.

And better yet, the aluminum bottle was made in China and likely had chromium, cadmium and lead in the paint. Gets rid of the greenies one way or other.

And I do know what you mean about the houses.

I was raised in 850 sq. ft.

My kids were raised in 1100 sq ft.

My grandkids are being raised in 3000 sq ft.

Damn silliness.

Don

Still confused....I am employed by a large O&G company yet reuse and recycle daily....I guess I am a land raping eco-greenie...btw...you can now get your beer in aluminum bottles in the US...

and for all the statisticians

My wife bought a single use (makes one cup at a time from a plastic insert) coffee machine last week. I almost fell over when I saw how wasetful this thing was. Despite my better efforts shes keeping it but getting rid of me.

=)

My wife bought a single use (makes one cup at a time from a plastic insert) coffee machine last week. I almost fell over when I saw how wasetful this thing was. Despite my better efforts shes keeping it but getting rid of me.

=)

Kungfool,

You dumped just ahead of fishing season - good choice. Show up only when the snow flies.

doctork,

Plastic bottles are one of those things that I often wonder if the inventor considered the consequences.

Something like Quads.

Don

* North America produced 7,000,000,000 kg (7 billion kg) of newsprint last year (This is a fact.) Maybe we should ban books and newspapers perhaps..use is declining for sure.

How much of that is used for newspapers and how much goes into useless crap advertising that I never look at? Before I moved into a condo we would get a stack of flyers over four inches high every week. I put a sign on the mailbox, called the flyer delivery companies, did everything I could think of. I don't want to have to haul the crap away to be recycled, I reused the dog food bags (25kg) for it and I'd take one a month. That's a stupid amount of waste.

The real issues are more complex that people like to pretend.

midgetwaiter ... agree 100% ... Here in the small burg of Coaldale, we sometimes get two and three copies of some fliers....first in the newspaper...then in with "Prairie Post" and sometimes in a flier drop....recently we got three from XYZ Corp (Home Depot I think) promoting their new line of green products. What a joke.

My point was that weenies make such a big deal about plastic bags and water bottles while our whole society is awash in waste be it from fossil fuel or from other resources like trees ... but weenies have a compulsive need to have a "cause" and water bottles and plastic bags are a good target. Like everyone here, I am all for conservation and reduction..just a little sick of "green this" and "green that" .. meaningless drivel these days.

We need to live and let live while reducing and conserving ... and forget about the green finger pointing. ;)

Guest Sundancefisher

I hate water sold in plastic bottles. But...consumers have to be educated that city water is safe.

That being said...you would think that water is better than tap in Mexico. My buddy just got back and wandered into the kitchen area at the resort. He saw guys filling the bottles under the taps and putting lids back on. Guess you need to make sure they are sealed.

midgetwaiter ... agree 100% ... Here in the small burg of Coaldale, we sometimes get two and three copies of some fliers....first in the newspaper...then in with "Prairie Post" and sometimes in a flier drop....recently we got three from XYZ Corp (Home Depot I think) promoting their new line of green products. What a joke.

My point was that weenies make such a big deal about plastic bags and water bottles while our whole society is awash in waste be it from fossil fuel or from other resources like trees ... but weenies have a compulsive need to have a "cause" and water bottles and plastic bags are a good target. Like everyone here, I am all for conservation and reduction..just a little sick of "green this" and "green that" .. meaningless drivel these days.

We need to live and let live while reducing and conserving ... and forget about the green finger pointing. ;)

I used to work for Canada Post and we sent a flier out telling everybody how the corporation was going green. Meanwhile, the bitch who runs the company pushes "admail" (or junk mail if you hate the stuff) as the future of Canada Post.

I agree that mass consumerism and excessive packaging are probably our biggest problem, but good luck changing that anytime soon. The global economy runs on waste. Everything is disposable, even cell phones. You have to start somewhere and I think plastic bottles and bags are a good start.

I always chuckle when I see people loading 3 flats of water onto there shopping kart... looks like someone forgot to tell them that is comes free (almost) out of the fricken tap.

Then there's the " it tastes different comment" crap. Unless you are living rural pulling your drinking water from a well.