Fly Fusion Forums

Bang For The Buck

robert

So I missed my chance last weekend to hit fish creek with the flyrod, went down for a peek and there were a half dozen people fishing. Couldn't find my flies and reel.

In all the moving lately, i've managed to misplace my one reel and line - yeah, I know, need more gear. My 9 wt is currently in Edmonton packed away but i have my 6 wt tfo 4 piece. What's a good bang for the buck reel and line that i can pick up? Nothing that's going to break the bank at this point. I just started my new job last week and the only reel/line I have to work with is a martin creek, not good.

Once I catch up on my bills, i'll be going nuts buying gear :oD

G.Loomis Venture series is one of the best bang for your buck reels that I've used. Simple, reliable, won't freeze up, great drag and adjustment...and you can find them new for $100.00 or less.

Check out the bargain bins at most fly shops, you'll usually find some perfectly good lines there. They might have been used for a demo, be a bit older, or be missing packaging, but will get you going for a lot less than having to fork out for a new line.

thanks, i'll have to look around this weekend. Worse comes to worse, i'll use the martin for a bit. BBT, I really appreciate the offer but I'm not one for borrowing gear.

Now, how warm does it have to be for people to flyfish? I noticed last weekend that nobody was wading the river around fish creek? Everyone was on the shore...

The old Okuma Magnitude reel (Can find er' on Ebay) Is awesome, the G-Loomis Venture is a great reel!!...And S.A Cheap lines are super, I Swear by that cheap ass line, Maxwell turned me on to it....All a fantastic bang for your Buck!!....Keeper' cheap, more money for gas, food, beer and supply's....

Cheers...Jeff..