Fly Fusion Forums

Ideas For A 5wt Rod..

EveretteD

Hey gang,

I'm looking into getting a 5wt 10' fast action rod. I am looking around online trying to find a rod that fits my liking and my budget. There are so many brands its hard to choose.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should look or what I should get

I dont want to spend more then $350 if i dont have too...

thanks in advance for you ideas

Everette

One thing about 10 footers if you don't no already is there big and heavy,that extra foot makes a big difference.

I had a 10' 6wt.It felt like a 9' 8wt.If 5 wt is what you want then try a 10'4 wt.

My suggestion would be a Z axis or something similar as the higher end rods are lighter.

One thing about 10 footers if you don't no already is there big and heavy,that extra foot makes a big difference.

I had a 10' 6wt.It felt like a 9' 8wt.If 5 wt is what you want then try a 10'4 wt.

My suggestion would be a Z axis or something similar as the higher end rods are lighter.

thanks for the input. I figured that a 10' might be a big heavier and possibly cumbersome. I have taken a look at the Z axis and i did find it attractive.

I will just keep plugging away on research.

Thanks

If you like the Z-Axis 5100 but you dont want to break the bank look at the 1054 CPX from Redington. Lifetime warranty, and the 10' CPXs are cannons. I fish the Z-axis 10's but I just ordered a 6wt 10' CPX, I was ultra amazed at how well that stick cast.

If you like the Z-Axis 5100 but you dont want to break the bank look at the 1054 CPX from Redington. Lifetime warranty, and the 10' CPXs are cannons. I fish the Z-axis 10's but I just ordered a 6wt 10' CPX, I was ultra amazed at how well that stick cast.

Doesnt redington cpx use the sage launch blanks? I believe I was told this somewhere?

Out of curiosity, what are you planning on using the rod for? My 5wt, that I use for dries on the Bow mainly, has plenty of punch for distance casting, and it's only 8.5". I have a 9' 6wt for nymphing and a 10' 7wt for streamers.

If you're looking for an all purpose rod for the Bow, then a 9 footer should be more than enough to toss dries, nymph and chuck the odd streamer.

Just my two cents.

Out of curiosity, what are you planning on using the rod for? My 5wt, that I use for dries on the Bow mainly, has plenty of punch for distance casting, and it's only 8.5". I have a 9' 6wt for nymphing and a 10' 7wt for streamers.

If you're looking for an all purpose rod for the Bow, then a 9 footer should be more than enough to toss dries, nymph and chuck the odd streamer.

Just my two cents.

i have a 6wt 9' TFO that is has a lot of backbone for throwing streamers. I was thinking more of a nymph rod. Possibly use it for the bow or smaller rivers (not streams i have a 4wt for that). I was just under the understanding that with a 10' with a fast action i should be able to huck a nymph rig a distance since i dont do a lot of high sticking, but with a 10' i feel i would be able to have just that extra reach if i were to high stick in certain situations..

I would consider a 9' 5wt or a 9' 6".

I am just trying to find the best rod to fit the situation or multiple situations i could face when fishing the bow or other rivers.

If you're looking for a dedicated nymphing rod a fast action isn't necessarily your best bet. Fast action tends to mean tighter loops which is bad when chucking an indicator and three nymphs. A 10' rod will be nicer for mending and high sticking or Czech nymphing than a 9' though.

If you're looking for a dedicated nymphing rod a fast action isn't necessarily your best bet. Fast action tends to mean tighter loops which is bad when chucking an indicator and three nymphs. A 10' rod will be nicer for mending and high sticking or Czech nymphing than a 9' though.

what kind of action would you suggest then if it dedicated for a nymphing rod?