Fly Fusion Forums

Picking Up Trash When You're Fishing

wongrs

Picking up the trash  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How often to you pick up trash when you fish your streams?

• Every dang time
    • 75% of the time
    • 50% of the time
    • 25% of the time
    • less than 25% of the time

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pocket in my pack I use until it is full. Quite a few years ago I came upon a camp of sorts with a pile of magazines left behind. All of them were addressed to the same person so I boxed them up and mailed them back. Cost me a couple of dollars but I figured it might make a point.

Around town here there is a huge amount of construction and alot of the stuff from the construction sites blows over to Don Sparrow Lake where I clean up the shoreline in the Spring or any time I happen to be over there, though this year I think I have only been there twice.

Sad thing is I am finding more and more tapered leader packages.

One other thing, for folks who stuff there bits of leader etc. in their pockets, it is a pain isn't it? So cut a square of thin cardboard and snip a little slit in one corner and wrap your trimmed ends or found line on the card and stick the end in the slit to hold it in place. It is easier to keep in your pocket and you just toss out the whole thing when you get to a trash can....Kerry

thanks for your reply kerry. good tip on the line. i do have a pocket full of leader bits. another tip is i often use different leader/tippet setups for dries versus say streamers. i use old tippet spools to hold my different leader configurations so that i don't have to waste my leaders in the first place and reduces trash.

i fished a canyon yesterday where the only reason somebody would be there would be to fish. i found a cigarette butt on shore (belmont)! what kind of a moron leaves a cigarette butt on the shore of a pristine mountain stream? you hike all the way in there to enjoy wilderness and then stamp out your butts and leave them there?!?! pack out your dang trash!

This is my first poll so hope it works out. Just curious what percentage of people pick up trash when they head out fishing say in the past 6 months. I didn't myself until recently when I started noticing more and more trash showing up.

Thanks for participating!

Hi, I always do, most of the times I take a small gold mine home with all the beer bottles .. $$$ ching, ching, ching...$ 25.00 Buck-a-roos later.

Other than that it's sad to see what other fisherman/women leave behind instead of putting it back in the pockets.

Boy is there a pile of BS going on here. Fish Beaver lake a lot - I'm now aware to 4 people who clean up after others. New seen anyone else ever do anything of the literally 100's of anglers fishing.

Oh , I get it - you all only pick up along flowing water.

Just took 3 garbage bags of bottles/cans to the recycle depot. That's one year from Beaver and Ironside. And I'd really like to catch the jerk that invented water containers. Ya just have to wonder about the intellect of the jerk who buys bottle water for his/her health and then throws the bottles everywhere. A$$holes!!!

Don

I have a pocket in my pack I use until it is full. Quite a few years ago I came upon a camp of sorts with a pile of magazines left behind. All of them were addressed to the same person so I boxed them up and mailed them back. Cost me a couple of dollars but I figured it might make a point.

Around town here there is a huge amount of construction and alot of the stuff from the construction sites blows over to Don Sparrow Lake where I clean up the shoreline in the Spring or any time I happen to be over there, though this year I think I have only been there twice.

Sad thing is I am finding more and more tapered leader packages.

One other thing, for folks who stuff there bits of leader etc. in their pockets, it is a pain isn't it? So cut a square of thin cardboard and snip a little slit in one corner and wrap your trimmed ends or found line on the card and stick the end in the slit to hold it in place. It is easier to keep in your pocket and you just toss out the whole thing when you get to a trash can....Kerry

thanks for your reply kerry. good tip on the line. i do have a pocket full of leader bits. another tip is i often use different leader/tippet setups for dries versus say streamers. i use old tippet spools to hold my different leader configurations so that i don't have to waste my leaders in the first place and reduces trash.

i fished a canyon yesterday where the only reason somebody would be there would be to fish. i found a cigarette butt on shore (belmont)! what kind of a moron leaves a cigarette butt on the shore of a pristine mountain stream? you hike all the way in there to enjoy wilderness and then stamp out your butts and leave them there?!?! pack out your dang trash!

Here is a simple tip for you guys, I have a 35mm film can in my waistcoat pocket that I stuff used leaders into through a cross cut on the lid, this is fine for a few trips and then you can dispose of them correctly at home.

Cigarette ends? I never leave any as the stub is extinguished and then put in my LHS pocket that is reserved solely for this and the leader can. - Always keep your fishings clean and ensure others do so as well.

i pick up if i have the arms or back pack to carry it back in. as for my own junk, always take it with me. if i can carry it in, i can carry it out.

i have one pocket dedicated to my cigarette butts, but failing that - i also have a portable ashtray. holds 6 butts, snuff it out and put it in the ashtray, dump at next garbage can. got it at a gas station and have given a few away. very handy.

Here is a simple tip for you guys, I have a 35mm film can in my waistcoat pocket that I stuff used leaders into through a cross cut on the lid, this is fine for a few trips and then you can dispose of them correctly at home.

Cigarette ends? I never leave any as the stub is extinguished and then put in my LHS pocket that is reserved solely for this and the leader can. - Always keep your fishings clean and ensure others do so as well.

that film can thing is a great suggestion. no more stuffing leader/tippet into a pocket and having dangly ends. i'm totally doing that.