Fly Fusion Forums

From The Ffc Booth & Reflections From The Expo Weekend

First off I would like to thank the volunteers that help me man the booth and tie a few flies for the fly box. The volunteers were Steve Murphy, Bhurt, Silver Doctor, Murray, San Juan Worm, FlytyerKyle. I would also thank Ladystrange even though she did not tie with us she did contribute a few flies to the collection. This year we did something different with the flies we tied at the show, in the past we did a draw on the last day of the show. This year we donated the fly box to Project Healing Waters Canada on behalf of the Fly Fish Calgary forum.Another big thank you goes to Pete Kauhausen of Amundson, who donated a large fly box in which to store the flies we tied. Pete and I both presented the box of flies to Project Healing Waters president Kerry Pitt. I must also thank Chris Bird for supporting our decision to donate the box of flies to this fine organization.

From a personal point of view the show was a success, I'm proud to have been part of the donation made. It was great to see some of you again even though it may have been a year ago or longer, also to meet some of the newer members. One lady really stood out to me from the weekend as she wanted to start to learn to tie flies and was asking us about what would be the best vice for her to get but I think she had her mind already made up after seeing Norm Norlander's tying demo. I know she was not a member when we were speaking to her but if she did join up here I would like her to contact me as I'm kind of curious if my hunch was right. Another moment I enjoyed was discussing features of the Norvise and some possible improvements that could be made.

As some of you may or may not know I am a huge fan of flies for Atlantic Salmon and with tubes catching on in North America, checked out 2 systems of tubes that are new to me, Tubeology and Protube. Both have some very interesting and unique features and concepts which I'll start a thread on in the fly tying section.

On a final note I finally got to meet several individuals that we both wanted to meet face to face for quite some time. You know who you are and I'll say I was glad to finally meet you and it was about time.

To Flytyer, Steve Murphy, Bhurt, Silver Doctor, Murray, San Juan Worm, FlytyerKyle, Ladystrange, and Pete Kauhausen of Amundson.

Kerry does not frequent Fly Fish Calgary BB all that often, so as soon as I saw this I thought I would express my heart felt gratitude to all those involved.

Ladystrange, Gentlemen Thank you so very much. It is a very good thing you do, and I know that those wonderful examples of your talents will benefit a Soldier in the Program.

You all have shown the true heart of FFC, and for that I am very thankful.

Please stay tuned to our web site as it will be changing some and we will be posting and boasting about this fine gesture..

Thanks again

Ray Flyfishfairwx Fairweather.

Great show, my first year, I was looking for a Fly Fish Calgary Booth and didn't realize that it was that so sadly missed you guys.

Good work to the volunteers and everyone who helped out, made for a great show.

I have to say, I absolutely enjoyed the show. One thing I like about it is I get to put some faces to the names of our FFC members. I did tie up a few flies for the donation but I have to say the Lions share of the work was done by Ron and Lornce. I plan on tieing up another batch for donation to such a worthy cause. I'd be happy to forward them on if anyone else would like to donate some of their work.

Murray