Fly Fusion Forums

Chironomids?

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

So I've been doing quite a bit of lake fishing over the past couple of years and had good success. But never on chironomids unless I am with a guide. I know all about colour and where they need to be in the water column and the different techniques. The part that's stumps me is, does the leader need to be 25% longer then the actual depth when using a strike indicator? I use the forceps trick to figure out the depth if I don't have my finder.

Thanks in advance boys! Tight lines!

So I've been doing quite a bit of lake fishing over the past couple of years and had good success. But never on chironomids unless I am with a guide. I know all about colour and where they need to be in the water column and the different techniques. The part that's stumps me is, does the leader need to be 25% longer then the actual depth when using a strike indicator? I use the forceps trick to figure out the depth if I don't have my finder.

Thanks in advance boys! Tight lines!

If using an indicator your fly needs to hang straight down, so your leader length is dictated by the depth of the water and where the fish are in the water column. i.e. fish feeding at 15ft then your fly needs to be 15ft below your indicator.

Colin

Jeremie,

I and I'm sure that others could and have written articles or even books on the methods of chironomid fishing.

But I'm not about to.

What you need to do is join the guys @ http://www.flybc.ca/ which is a BC site.

After you register you get more privileges than those that don't. One of them is access to articles written by some of the best chironomid fishermen out there.

The articles appear on the right side of the home page.

Some that are listed include:

Deep Water Chironomids By John Sclar (Jonnycronny)

Long-lining Chironomids. By Jason Majoskey

Fishing the Long Line By Randy Paskell (Floon

Just added!!!!

And I just about blew it. There is a new site available that has a sack of info in it regarding stillwaters. See: http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/

And if I recall correctly, you fish from a Fishcat. Do you anchor it? Chironomidiing w/o an anchor is near impossible.

catch ya'

Don

If your fishing a light mid naked then yes.I make my leaders 25% longer then the water is deep.I wait a few minutes for the fly to sink then start the retrieve.

If i have an indi on and some shot or a swivel then its the same length that i want to fish.Normally i let it sit in the rod holder and give it a twitch hear and there.

I find it helps to have a heavy fly above the chironomid when bobber fishing. You can then set the depth perfectly with your forceps and the line will be straight down. If you plan on swinging the flies in a wind, over an arc, your depth will be less precise but if the fish are active it may not be a problem. Anchors are essential.