Fly Fusion Forums

Which Vise?

dthirkell

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

look for one with lots of options. rotary, ability to change the angle of the vise itself, bobbin rest and so on.

I really like my Renzetti, but there are SOOO many on the market that it really comes down to what makes your nipples hard and makes you want to go tie a few dozen flies

I just recieved a Nor-vice, I think it's the way to go if you are going to be pounding out the same patterns typically. Compared to 17 year old Regal, there is no comparison.... the jaws hold any size with out issue. You just have to learn how to tie on a different system.

I use a Griffin Odysssey. It was a gift from my old man. Its okay, but the tip of jaw cracked. I also find that the set up isnt to handy for small flies (<16). At some point I will upgrade most likely to a renseti (sp?). post-2158-1296072009.jpg

I just recieved a Nor-vice, I think it's the way to go if you are going to be pounding out the same patterns typically. Compared to 17 year old Regal, there is no comparison.... the jaws hold any size with out issue. You just have to learn how to tie on a different system.

Agreed.

Buy a Norvice, and never buy another vice again.

I like the looks and the function of the norvise. Now I guess we wait to see where JayVee says we should or should not buy it from. :lol:

Norm Norlander is going to be at the fly fishing expo this weekend. I have been eyeing one of these for a long time and am hoping there may be a deal or two at the show (fingers crossed).

Dave, you should go to a Hook and Hackle meeting and ask if you can try a few different vises out......they all have a different feel to them, much like picking out a vehicle, test drive first. Or check at the show this weekend to try some from those who are there I personally favour Norvise and Law vises

My favorite is the law also truly a pleasure to tie on. Head and shoulders above others I've used I tend to tie on it most of the time. I like my Norvice for some things but I love my Law. But Dave the advice is very sound from flytier don't buy a pig in a poke. Try a couple of vices,see what's comfortable, any reputable shop will let you try, see you at the show.

Dave, you should go to a Hook and Hackle meeting and ask if you can try a few different vises out......they all have a different feel to them, much like picking out a vehicle, test drive first. Or check at the show this weekend to try some from those who are there I personally favour Norvise and Law vises