Fly Fusion Forums

Spey From A Boat

jononfire

thinking about getting a spey rod for the bow. I have never spey cast before and i am wondering if it is practical to use on from a drift boat?

spey rods can be very productive from a boat, especially with streamers because you can cast to the banks without being to close, and not spook those big easily spooked browns, that lay on the banks! qiuck casting when nyphing to!!

A spey rod can be used from a drift boat but I wouldn't say it's practical by any means. A switch rod or longer single-handed rod is probably a better choice.

I would tend to agree with headscan on this. Spey rods are great with little back cast room, throwing fairly heavy flies, getting in nice mends, even getting consistantly long casts while search for fish in a swing/step pattern. On a drift boat, elevated off the water with limitless backcast space, throwing a bow river bugger or similar and stripping or dead drifting streamers that you've banged off the bank, I see no real neccessity or even advantage to the spey rod. Everyone has preferences I suppose and someone may interject, but I wouldn't bother if your idea is to throw from a drift boat. I prefer spey casting from a static position - I am generally more of the sustained anchor type - and don't think a drift boat would be conducive to this. Although I have 2 handers around and swing spey a lot, when on the boat my 6 weight 9 foot XP has always been more than sufficient on the Bow to bang lazers at the bank with a little finess. I am curious to hear though whether others actually spey cast from a boat and what advanges they find in it.

I personally know a few people that use a spey rod from a boat and are very sucessful at it, personally for myself I have a 9 foot 6 6wt single hand rod that I copped a shooting head for and do single hand spey casts from the boat and I tell you this it works amazing....

At the end of the day you have to find what you like to do best, many people have diffrent likes and diffrent beliefs on what should be or shouldn't be done. As for me I really don't care as long as it is within the regulations.

Have fun and enjoy your time on the river.

ive done a little double handed fishing from a boat and i find it a pain in the but personally.. i use the boat too get within good range too fish the banks and the double handers offer a distance game for me frmo shore.. but i do single handed spey cast 90% of the time from a boat or shore really.. i think its the most practical casting style for less time in the air more time in the water.. i sut found that a 11-13 foot rod too be too clumbsy frmo a boat when fishing nymphs hopper droppers and streamers along teh bansk or mid river.. when i can i keep it all withing 20-30 feet of me beacuse my mending strike recignition and accuracy is as close too 100% as i can get in terms of control and efficiency.. i feel the double handers excell best with long deep swings, stripping streamers or hitting far out buckets and seams from shore

I have anchored the boat many times swinging for steelhead and chinook, and been successful because of it. There are certain spots (although not that many) that you you couldn't fish properly otherwise. Casting from a boat isn't a problem at all. It is also common for steelhead guides that have clients that don't have good wading abilities. Client stays in the boat and the guide walks it thru the run.

PK

• 5 months later...