Fly Fusion Forums

Reels For Pike

fishpro

Hey all, I'm looking to pick up a new pike set-up and have essentially decided on which rod I want, probably the Redington Predator 10wt, or perhaps the Ross Flystik. I'm now looking for a reel to pick up. I really like the Sage 3800 CF series, does anyone have any other recommendations? I know pike don't take long runs, but they're powerful so a good drag is definitely necessary. I'm looking in the $250-$300 range, what does everyone here use for pike? Are there any lower priced reels that people think are solidly built and will hold up to numerous large pike?

Fishpro... I own and have fished the predator series rods for 2 seasons now and the 10wt is a club, the 8wt is more then sufficent for any pike or bully for that matter. If you want a longer rod than the 8wt the 9 would suffice but the 10 is a pretty heavy stick.

Now for your question at hand, I use the 3800 series and I don't think it would be the ideal reel, they are gorgeous and work everyway you want them to but the 3800 series is delicate..... Redington Rise reels are awesome for pike and balance perfectly on the Predator, the rises have a rock solid drag and they take a beating, they will still work when you drop your reel in the boat. A few of my buddies use the rise as well for pike

Fishpro... I own and have fished the predator series rods for 2 seasons now and the 10wt is a club, the 8wt is more then sufficent for any pike or bully for that matter. If you want a longer rod than the 8wt the 9 would suffice but the 10 is a pretty heavy stick.

Now for your question at hand, I use the 3800 series and I don't think it would be the ideal reel, they are gorgeous and work everyway you want them to but the 3800 series is delicate..... Redington Rise reels are awesome for pike and balance perfectly on the Predator, the rises have a rock solid drag and they take a beating, they will still work when you drop your reel in the boat. A few of my buddies use the rise as well for pike

Thank you for your input on both the rods and reels. In terms of the rods, I was looking at going heavier in order to cast large flies long distances. Do you think there would be much of a difference between the 8 and 10 for this? I am planning to fish for pike quite a bit next summer, including a trip up north, so I would like something suitable for large pike.

Guest Jeremie

Fishpro,

I use 7-8wts for my pike. Scientific anglers system 2 on the 7, on the 8 i have the okuma helios. Both do plenty good on pike. I've used my 9 with a pflueger trion in yellowknife and have no problems either. I dont think reels really matter for pike, i even set my drag to almost as light as i can go and palm the reel. As for casting, casting a 7-8wt for a day is going to be much easier on your arm then the 10 weight. I've even used a 8 switch and swung flies for pike in the north saskatchewan. Its all really preference. If you could find a good rod, buy 2 to 3 reels in the 60-120$ One setup with a top water line (dry obviously) the other with a type 4-7 sink, and if you had a third with intermediate. They all have their purpose and you could just switch the reels on an off. Or you could the simplistic route and get 1 decent reel and buy 2 extra spools. Theres plenty of options for pike, your choice to throw your outfit together and go have some fun!

Tightlines!

P.S. Post some gator pics when you succeed, i love gator pics!

Dustin,

I use an 8 wt for my pike/bully rod with a Snowbee XSD Cartridge reel (comes with 5 cartridges so you can put on a variety of lines). Great drag at a great price!! If you want to take them for a chuck, lemme know...

P

I agree with what most people are saying. Go with an 8 wt rod. Never had a problem landing 20 - 25 lb pike. They can cast some big flies with ease. I think a 10 wt would be ok but a little over kill in my opinion. I know if I have the option I will cast a lighter rod over a heavier rod. Lots of options for reels. I have owned pflueger presidents in the past and really liked the drag on them. All depends on what kind of money you want to spend but you can get started for relatively cheap and have no problem fighting these monsters. There is lots of time before spring so I would look for second hand deals. This will get you in some quality gear at a fraction of the price. Pike are a lot of fun. Enjoy.

I agree with the comments about 8 wt rods being big enough. You can get a bit carried away with the big fly thing (even with a 10 wt). So far I have never had a pike get anywhere near the backing, in fact they rarely go beyond the line that's already stripped off for casting. A simple click drag on a reel you can palm for more pressure will do. If you want to use the rod for other fishing, say saltwater, then get a reel that will handle that fishing, and it will be fine for your pike. I use an Okuma Integrity I8-9 for all my 8 wt work and it does fine.

Thank you for your input on both the rods and reels. In terms of the rods, I was looking at going heavier in order to cast large flies long distances. Do you think there would be much of a difference between the 8 and 10 for this? I am planning to fish for pike quite a bit next summer, including a trip up north, so I would like something suitable for large pike.

Fishpro match a good line with the predator 8wt and you'll be set . I use the Rio Clouser and it will chuck pretty much any fly, I have some 10" double bunnies for pikers that weight 1/4 oz and I can easily cast those far enough 60-70'. I've never landed a pike over 4' yet but I am sure the 8 would hold them. Pikers run... but never really far