Fly Fusion Forums

Furnaces

Got to replace a couple of furnaces. Have two quotes. One at $7500 for a 'Tempstar' (never heard of them) and one at nearly $12000 for a Carrier.

Who's gone through this recently?? Any installers with comments??

Any comments on the 'cheaper' Tempstar. How long they been around?? warranty issues?? troubles??

Got 2 a couple of years ago and went with Carrier units... The installer was reco'd by my cousin who was a plumber and is now retired. Installer (one man show) was a cranky old coot, but definitely knew his stuff. Even got $450 off/unit under a manufacture rebate (total cost was "around" $4500 per unit including install and metal work, etc. if i remember correctly). Went with mid efficiency units which is what was reco'd by the installer based on our specific needs, i.e., age of our house, sq. footage, the fact that we have a rental suite, etc. When the city inspector came around he did make a comment on the installer and mentioned that he was one of the good ones and had never had a problem with any of his installs!

If there is anything else I can help you with as far as my exp., let me know but I'm sure there are guys on here that work in HVAC so they might be more knowledgeable with specifics... I personally wouldn't go with anything but a well known manufacture - Lennox (the most expensive), Carrier, York, etc. - but that is just MY opinion!

Another thing is if there is a home show coming up in the near future... Most manufactures will have some form of representation so you can check things out under one roof...

Peter

We had to have our furnace replaced on short notice two years ago, we were looking at a Carrier but the installer recommended a Goodman and I have no complaints. It was installed by Monty's Plumbing and Heating Service out of Airdrie and I'd recommend them to anyone. The cost was reasonable, they do exactly what they say they are going to do, and they do it quickly and neatly without cutting corners. We've had them back since to do some plumbing work and it was the same story.

i can't believe some of the #'s that I'm hearing.I think I'm in the wrong business.

I purchased a new American Standard mid eff. 80,000 btu from a plumber friend at his wholesalers at $850 this was 3 years ago.I removed my old one and slid in the new one, of course the new one was about a foot shorter so i needed an adapter manifold to go from the new one to my old duct work.Any heating shop can make these for about $40.I did the gas and electrical myself but you should be able to hire a certified gas dude for an hour.

All in my cost was under $1000.Maybe furnaces have gone up alot but $4500 for a new 1 even with plumbing in a new vent and exaust seams like someone is making some good money.