Fly Fusion Forums

Back Pack Fly Fishing Trip

ccg818

I plan on doing a couple 2-3 day backpack fishing trips next year. I am looking for advice on what to get for a back pack and other equipment. Does somebody make a backpack especially for extended fly fishing trips, something that is big enough for a small tent, sleeping bag, stove etc. Any advice would be great!!

I do a fair bit of backpacking/fly fishing every season and you will not find what you are looking for specifically (as far as "extended"/over night trips as opposed to "day trips"), but why would you - not a big enough market?!

PM me if you have any specific questions, but what I would suggest is concentrate your efforts on buying the right BPing gear for your intended use (size, fit, capacity, weight, temp range, etc.). Most, if not all (quality) backpacks will allow you to attach gear to the outside (with mine they all have "wand pockets" so I can easily fit a rod tube no problem) and have a little chest pack with everything I'll need for backcountry lakes - it doesn't really take up too much room - you will have to suss out how much FF gear you'll need on your own.

Other considerations... Are you going solo or with other people? What type of terrain will you be hiking into (alpine, sub-alpine, above treeline, remote or closer to a major urban area, etc.)... What distances will you be hiking? Are you a minimalist or do you like to be somewhat comfortable (fishpro did a trip this past summer sleeping under a tarp. Suntoucher hiked into a lake with my wife and I and he used a small 2 person - personal preference)...

As with everything else go with as high quality gear as you can afford, do your research and find what's going to work for you (not what works for someone else)!

Peter

I plan on doing a couple 2-3 day backpack fishing trips next year. I am looking for advice on what to get for a back pack and other equipment. Does somebody make a backpack especially for extended fly fishing trips, something that is big enough for a small tent, sleeping bag, stove etc. Any advice would be great!!

Can't disagree more Jay!! LoL Hammocks are the most uncomfortable thing out there!! Ever try sleeping on your side in/on one!! What happens if you are above treeline?! Just giving you a hard time ;) What was I saying about personal preference?! :P LoL!

This is a WAY better option IMHO (but hella expensive!)

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-meta2p-tent

P

With a few of the cats from here I back pack a lot and the #1 improvement to your back packing enjoyment is this

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

down with tents, I have no affiliation with Clark but if you want to look at one let me know

+1

I've had mine for about 2 years now and have slept through everything (dry, rain, snow) on all sorts of terrain and absolutely love it. Takes me less than 5 minutes for setup/tear down. Your not lugging any poles, back matt or any of that other stuff needed in a tent. I also took it on a backpacking trip through Europe and it worked great. The only downside which I haven't run into yet is that you need 2 trees/posts that are atleast 5inches in diameter.

As for bags, I'm a pretty big fan of MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) and spent quite a while in there finding a bag that fit well to my body and was the right size.

Just to throw another option into the mix, consider a bivy bag.

MEC Bivy Bags

Put your sleeping bag and foamy inside, roll it up and put it in a dry bag with compression straps. Setting up your shelter will take about ten seconds, any where, anytime. Packing up might take a minute. Warm and dry, and a conversation piece to boot.

Can't disagree more Jay!! LoL Hammocks are the most uncomfortable thing out there!! Ever try sleeping on your side in/on one!! What happens if you are above treeline?! Just giving you a hard time ;) What was I saying about personal preference?! :P LoL!

This is a WAY better option IMHO (but hella expensive!)

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-meta2p-tent

P

Peter,

do a little reading before the snap judgement on Clark Jungle hammocks, this isn't a typical hammock,

the clark hammocks are made so you can sleep on your side, I do it often and it is incredible. I am sure if you set up the hammock incorrectly it will be uncomfortable. If you are above the tree line you just set up the hammock like a tent. You will never sleep better in a tent then you will in a Clark Jungle Hammock, period.

Just read the user reviews.

Jay...

Opinion not judgement! They have their place, for sure!! They're just not for me!!

P

P.S. Not sure where the wife and dog would sleep?! LoL

Peter,

do a little reading before the snap judgement on Clark Jungle hammocks, this isn't a typical hammock,

the clark hammocks are made so you can sleep on your side, I do it often and it is incredible. I am sure if you set up the hammock incorrectly it will be uncomfortable. If you are above the tree line you just set up the hammock like a tent. You will never sleep better in a tent then you will in a Clark Jungle Hammock, period.

Just read the user reviews.

thanks for all the suggestions, I was looking at a Mystery Ranch Kodiak pack, its huge 7000 cu-in and has a pile of features. I would most likely be going on these hikes with my wife so I am assuming I will be carrying most of the gear! I may be PM' ing some of you for ideas, thanks again.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i can JUST get away with 55L bag for my 3 day trips but a 90L is huge and it you have the room you end up using it. 75L is going to be my new backpack for the next few years.

Try to find one with a hydro sack so you can go a long distance without refilling.

Holy $hite!!

That is a HUGE pack with an even bigger price tag $630.00!!

A LOT of other (better?!) options in my opinion!!

My wife has a 65 l pack to my 80 l (and we don't fill them up) and can go 4 - 5 days easy!!

Check out the Arc'teryx packs ('one' of the best in the biz), Gregory, Dana Designs, Deuter, even generic MEC, MHW, TNF, Black Diamond all at 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost (and most think that is too expensive). Go with what fits your body (torso), i.e. make sure you have a chance to try before you buy!!

P

Mystery Ranch Kodiak pack,

Yup, missed that one!! Good packs!

P

Just to throw another brand out there, I would definitely recommend Osprey. Great packs, variety of features, and they feature a lifetime warranty. Ultimately, though, it is important to try on several packs before you actually purchase one.

I just bought the Eberlestock JP9 Blue widow for the same reason.

It will convert from a 36 L daypack to a 77 multiple day pack.

And if you add one of the duffels it will extend well over 120 L.

I liked the mesh what was designed for transporting meat, but will be nice for wet waders and shoes.

Also the scabbard can hold some of my rods.

Just received mine 1 hour ago, so no review yet.

http://www.eberlestock.com/JP9%20Blue%20Widow.htm

If you want just a good pack for a great price you can't beat the MEC Brio http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail...._id=84552444241 for under $100. I just got the MEC IBEX and really like it as well. More padding in the waste belt and more pockets and features. Took it on a 60km round trip hike last year and loved it.

I'd save your money on the pack and spend it on boots and a good tent. MEC tents are also great. I have the tarn 3 and have used it for probably 100 nights, many of them in the pouring rain in NZ. Never leaked and even in gail force winds and hail, still feels solid. I've never had a problem returning Mec stuff as well. If it breaks, they will fix it or replace it. Got to love that.

Cheers.

I just bought the Eberlestock JP9 Blue widow for the same reason.

It will convert from a 36 L daypack to a 77 multiple day pack.

And if you add one of the duffels it will extend well over 120 L.

I liked the mesh what was designed for transporting meat, but will be nice for wet waders and shoes.

Also the scabbard can hold some of my rods.

Just received mine 1 hour ago, so no review yet.

http://www.eberlestock.com/JP9%20Blue%20Widow.htm

That looks like a very nice pack!

I should have gone that route instead of a dedicated flyfishing pack!

I think the dryearth camo and Unicam would bland very well into those banks above the big browns in southern Alberta.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i second Arc'teryx, i trust them with my life! I have used there climbing harness's for over 6 years now.

and the hammocks are PIMP!!! no bumps in your back or rocks digging into your hip