Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Tcx Or Orvis Helios??

Remps

Looking for a 9" 6wt rod to use on the bow for streamers and nymphing as well as bull trout on the sheep and highwood. I have a helios 8.6" 4wt and I absolutely love it for throwing dries, and because it only weighs just over 2 oz i can cast it all day.

I have heard from a few people that orvis in general tend to break easly. so if anyone has an opinion on the two or another great 6wt I am interested to here.

Pike

Looking for a 9" 6wt rod to use on the bow for streamers and nymphing as well as bull trout on the sheep and highwood. I have a helios 8.6" 4wt and I absolutely love it for throwing dries, and because it only weighs just over 2 oz i can cast it all day.

I have heard from a few people that orvis in general tend to break easly. so if anyone has an opinion on the two or another great 6wt I am interested to here.

Pike

9' 6wt Winston BIIMX

9' 6wt Winston GVX

9' 6wt Winston VSL

9' 6wt Winston Passport

great rods, take a look n consider

Kyle Snarr

The TCX is a cannon. If you're a good caster, and need a purpose built rod, the TCX is a great choice. It's not a do everything rod, but it does what it's supposed to do very well, bomb casts with disregard for wind, big streamers and heavy tips.

If you're not the greatest caster, don't like really fast rods, or think you might want a rod for more than chucking streamers you might want to consider something else.

If you are looking for a nymph/streamer rod why not a Sage99? The 99's are purposely designed for opening up your loops to make nymphing and heavy streamer casts easier. the TCXs aren't the most forgiving rod and are designed for distance casting

I was looking at the Sage 99, correct me if I am wrong but it is a 10" rod. My concern with that is that 85% of my fishing is packing a rod threw the bush. The extra 1" does make a difference when packing.

Have you or anyone else tried the Sage 99?

I was looking at the Sage 99, correct me if I am wrong but it is a 10" rod. My concern with that is that 85% of my fishing is packing a rod threw the bush. The extra 1" does make a difference when packing.

Have you or anyone else tried the Sage 99?

The 99s are 9'9" 90% of my fishing is done with either a 4100 or 6100 Z-axis, both 10' rods. I have a 99 and have used it. The 10's benefits far outway the extra foot in the bush, actually it's really a none concern to me it's only 11% longer then a 9. plus packed it is only 3"s longer then a 9. If you want to easily be able to make bombs, high stick, "sit in a float tube" or single hand spey the 10' really has it's benefits. 163 days of my fishing this year were spent in the bush, with 10's

I would cast the rod at one of the shops.

Ask to try it with a 6wt and a 7wt line.

Try it first with a 6wt line, see how it feels.

If you think that the rod is a little to fast, try a 7 wt line.

The 7 wt line will load the road with less line out.

With more than 25ft of line out, it will slow the action down and load the rod deeper.

fishnut1

A couple of years ago I was looking for a new 6 weight 9ft. Tried the Helios and the Sage and the G. Loomis GLX Streamdance. I felt the G. Loomis was superior after casting all three. I have used this rod extensively in both still and moving water on fish up to 7lbs and have found it an absolute delight. I cast steamers, nymphs and dries with this rod and it performs well on all three. It also allows me to cast better and further than the old Hardy, Sage and Orvis rods I had been using.

I have tried both in the 10 weights and have the TCR in a six weight for streamers and sink tips. When I was looking for a new ten weight I tried the TCX, Helios and the XI3. I ended up with the XI3 - it is a little more forgiving than the TCX and has the larger saltwater guides.

Since your looking for both a nymph and streamer rod, perhaps consider a 9'6" 6wt or even a 10' as some have a suggested; however, depending on the action of the rod, 10' may be a bit long for overhead casting streamers. I have a 9' 6wt Z-axis, it's great for what your looking to do, big streamers aside. However, for bigger water like the Bow, having that extra length is very nice, especially when on foot.

For Bullies I would think (I have little experience in fishing for Bullies) you would need something bigger than a 6, some of the rigs guys have shown me are pretty bulky and those fish can get BIG. I read somewhere that the Sage small mouth rod is a popular AB Bull Trout stick.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done allot of fishing for bullies and found that a 5 or 6 wt works just fine just using heavier tippet.

I have the 5 wt TCX, haven't done a tonne of fishing with it yet but it seems like it will work well for what you are looking for.

Brian