Fly Fusion Forums

Highway Safety - A College Project Needs Your Help

Hey.

I am collecting info about the views of the general public on how safe people are being with trailers and loads they haul around. If you can please take less than a minute of your time to answer a short 8 question clickable survey (easy) I would greatly appreciate it. Survey located at SURVEY MONKEY WEBSITE - MY SURVEY

Also, if you have time, please answer one question on this thread. Discuss why if you have time as well. Thanks! I'll add my own opinion later :) .

"do you think Alberta truck dealerships should offer a free one day course to new truck and SUV customers to teach them proper trailer techniques and proper loading procedures?"

I don't think making it manditory would be accepted, other than that I would like to the opportunity to attend one, if I chose. I have seen alot of people that don't load their travel trailers properly to insure they rolling on a level plane. I have seen many that are unbalanced as a result of not using an equalizer hitch properly. The more info availabe the better in my books.

FHD

Yeah it's my first attempt at a survey. I am trying to put together a proposal that will try to get truck dealerships to put on one day free seminars/courses on trailer techniques and cargo procedure. The courses would not be a mandatory requirement for anyone. The courses would be a good way for the dealerships to 1) promote public safety, and 2) increase their own positive image by doing so.

Hawgstoppah,

It shouldn't be free and it should be mandatory.

We have driver's license classifications - why not hauling classifications.

And lets cut out the "so we won't hurt anyone's feelings" stuff. If you need a course to be a safe driver, then you need a course + exam. Things that are free are usually worth about what you paid for them.

Don

Hawgstoppah,

It shouldn't be free and it should be mandatory.

We have driver's license classifications - why not hauling classifications.

And lets cut out the "so we won't hurt anyone's feelings" stuff. If you need a course to be a safe driver, then you need a course + exam. Things that are free are usually worth about what you paid for them.

Don

I tend to agree with you Don... absolutely. That'll be my 4th semester project... proposing regulation/law change

Brian,

I guess it would also depend on who is teaching the course and what their qualifications are?! Are they some dude from the dealership or someone from "Transport Canada" with a few credentials under their belt!! If it's some punky kid that doesn't know a "truckers hitch" from a "granny knot", then I probably wouldn't bother! Also, is there even an "approved" program in which to offer or is it just something the manager's kid put together as a summer job!?

P

Brian,

I guess it would also depend on who is teaching the course and what their qualifications are?! Are they some dude from the dealership or someone from "Transport Canada" with a few credentials under their belt!! If it's some punky kid that doesn't know a "truckers hitch" from a "granny knot", then I probably wouldn't bother! Also, is there even an "approved" program in which to offer or is it just something the manager's kid put together as a summer job!?

P

Good question Peter, and one I do have covered in my proposal. Instruction would be done by an officer from the Alberta Department of Transportation. :)

Brian

should not be required training when purchasing a vehicle capable of towing, rather mandatory prior to registering the trailer....lots of soccer moms driving escalades that will never see the hitch get used ['i always wondered what that thing was for']

should not be required training when purchasing a vehicle capable of towing, rather mandatory prior to registering the trailer....lots of soccer moms driving escalades that will never see the hitch get used ['i always wondered what that thing was for']

good point and one I would seriously take into consideration for my future proposal on changing a regulation / law. For now, I am simply trying to target those who in the future might haul cargo or a trailer, so that same soccer mom doesn't end up driving down the road some day with a mattress on top of her vehicle attached by one small strap...