Fly Fusion Forums

Hatch Time,,,

A few of the top producing dry flies on the Bow for me, this season, were PMD Sparkle Dun's, #16, #18. Especailly from mid July through late August.

Another stellar dry pattern was a Peacock Caddis, which produced many large fish in late May through till mid June, during the intense Caddis emergence that we had.

We also had an epic hatch of Classinea Stoneflies in late June through late July. A Skid bitch in the first two weeks of the hatch was king, then a Fat Albert produced well into August. Most of the epic Stonefly dry fly fishing was over by sunrise. In fact, many of my best dry fly days started at 3:00 am and ended at sunrise or started at sunset and ended near midnight. It sure was worth the many sleepless nights.

Black Caddis #14, #16, small stimmies #10ish. Try tying some big foam stuff with legs they always work great alone or with a dropper. Big Bugger patterns, any kind of small beadhead nymphs, weevils, princes's, hares ears, pheasant tails and then all the new stuff out there seems like there are always a bunch of new flies everytime you walk into a shop. I tie all of my own flies but still mill through the bins to see whats up!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I got ahead of myself. Before I start thinking about next season, does anyone have any shrimp, damsel, or leaches to tie or try ice fishing? Any suggestions, I like them heavy weighted at the eye of the fly so they hang horizontal. Suggestions for stocked ponds?

thanks.

fly fishy

Personally I think the sparkle on a dry is more for the one tying the hook on than the one biting the fly.

I think sparkle can imitate that air bubble trapped by an insects 'hairs'.

Sparkle and flash can also give the illusion of movement.

There is a place for it.

Tie flies with and without it... if the ones without aren't working, try the ones with. Too much flash can scare fish, but it can also cause an aggressive strike.

A few of the top producing dry flies on the Bow for me, this season, were PMD Sparkle Dun's, #16, #18. Especailly from mid July through late August.

Another stellar dry pattern was a Peacock Caddis, which produced many large fish in late May through till mid June, during the intense Caddis emergence that we had.

We also had an epic hatch of Classinea Stoneflies in late June through late July. A Skid bitch in the first two weeks of the hatch was king, then a Fat Albert produced well into August. Most of the epic Stonefly dry fly fishing was over by sunrise. In fact, many of my best dry fly days started at 3:00 am and ended at sunrise or started at sunset and ended near midnight. It sure was worth the many sleepless nights.

The Peacock Caddis fishes the film,ready it sink .I'm liking this !

\ ELK or DEER on top maybe Peacock ?