Fly Fusion Forums

Clear Water And Hot Sun

Dwalks

Afternoon everyone, I am brand new to this Forum thing all together. This is the only forum in the entire internet that I want to be a part of. So thank you in advance for your help and being here for me.

Anyways I have just started fly fishing this year. I am picking up on the water reading thing pretty good but there are things I don’t understand still. I have visited the same hole Sat (1st fight with a fish on my fly rod about 14" RBT) Tues (some bites) Wed (1st fish caught on my fly rod 10"BT) and now Thursday (nothing) each day I spend about 2 hrs working this one hole I know there is fish because I have got a hole load of bites.

Now that I have said that my question is today when I was there the water was the clearest it has been and the suns the hottest so where are the fish and what should I be using? I'm asking because what I think right now is the water is clear and most likely warmer so in turn the fish are deeper and feeding down low so my flies that float or even sink 4" or 5" won't work and that I should add weight and try for 4" or 5" off the bottom instead. Please let me know if I have the right idea or if I am way off...

2nd question

I work till mid night tonight and I was told to hit up the water then and the fishing is pretty good a lot of big fish. So any tips from the pros would help? Or maybe I heard wrong and shouldn't waste my time??????

Thanks again everyone

Have a Great Day

Dustan T Walker.

I'll leave Toolman to answer the fishing at Midnight question as that is his speciality. As for fishing in the heat of the day and in warmer water, usually the fish will move to some type of cover. So look behind rocks, logs or along a dropoff. They won't necessarily be in the deep holes, they also hang in the riffles where the water has more oxygen and where they can pick off food as it comes by. Try a high floating hopper pattern, foam is good, or a bushy dry caddis and hang a dropper nymph on 18 inches of mono tied to the bend of the dryfly.

Guest bigbadbrent

Perfect run for mid-day 30 plus degree is a deep, but choppy and fast run. I've found i've caught more fish out of those runs then any other during burning hot days....With clearer water you'll may have to lighten your tippet, as fish are pretty trained on the bow.

2nd question

I work till mid night tonight and I was told to hit up the water then and the fishing is pretty good a lot of big fish. So any tips from the pros would help? Or maybe I heard wrong and shouldn't waste my time??????

Thanks again everyone

Have a Great Day

Dustan T Walker.

Hi Dustan and welcome to FFC.

In response to your second question, fishing at midnight may or may not produce good fishing, the same as fishing at say 7:00am. Sometimes the conditions required for good fishing, may or may not be happening at the water you are at or at the time you are there. It may be sensational 5 miles down river and absolutely dead where you are fishing. That's the Bow river.

That said, night fishing can on average produce larger trout than daytime fishing, but it comes with its own set of challenges requiring adaptation to the darkness and the conditions at hand.

Fishing under tension using a downstream and across presentation will help with strike detection, as will High stick nymphing with a short line. I would recommend you try night fishing for a unique, exciting fishing experience. Sooner or later you will hit a magic night when the large trout are feeding hard and everything you do works. Those are the times that keep me coming back for more.

Good Luck!

Well Thanks to all of you for the info. However being new to this sports I have a few question about what has been said so in point form here we go

-hang a dropper nymph :huh: on 18 inches of mono :huh: tied to the bend of the dryfly

-lighten your tippet :huh:

-High stick nymphing with a short line. :huh:

Sorry I will get it sooner or later then I will also be tossing around the lingo hahaha.

From Dustan (pumped to fish the snot outta the bow tonight) Walker

Guest bigbadbrent

A dropper is another fly literally dropped from the bottom of your top fly

His example of a hopper/dropper would be having a very large dry fly as your first fly you tie on. You then tie another piece of line to the bend (right behind the hook point) and then tie a nymph further down. You can then use the dry fly as a strike indicator

Lightening your tippet would just be going to a smaller tippet, so from like 8lb to 6lb, or 3x to 4x

Ok I got the hooper/dropper thing figured out and I will try it but the tippet issue is more of a what is the difference between a leader and a tippet and what is all the 6x 3x stuff?

I am learning a lot today

Guest bigbadbrent

Tippets are what you tie onto your leader for extra length, or different poundage.

They go from 0 - 8 (normally, most people dont use anything smaller then 6) X. The bigger the number, the smaller the tippet. 4x is usually 6 lb, 3x 8, etc..i use 8 normally on the bow, but prefer using 6

hey dude sounds like u need a good book man. the essential guide too flyfishiny by ffc's own clive schaupmeyer will give ta a ton of knowledge too slay em on teh bow 24/7...anystream for that matter. but you should get some indicators and nymph deep fish streamers or add droppers when fishing during the day (like others posted) if you want too ahve success when they are not looking up...

I agree, a good book such as the "Essential Guide to Flyfishing" is the right place to start. Read it several times, then talk to the folks at the local flyshops when you stop in to pick up gear. They can help you with fly selection, leaders etc., and be a good resource in the learning process. There is also the option of enrolling in a flyfishing school like the one operated by

Jim & Linda Maclennan. www.mclennanflyfishing.com . Jim also is the author of several good flyfishing books that you should read.

I agree, a good book such as the "Essential Guide to Flyfishing" is the right place to start. Read it several times, then talk to the folks at the local flyshops when you stop in to pick up gear. They can help you with fly selection, leaders etc., and be a good resource in the learning process. There is also the option of enrolling in a flyfishing school like the one operated by

Jim & Linda Maclennan. www.mclennanflyfishing.com . Jim also is the author of several good flyfishing books that you should read.

And don't forget ouur own Toolmans & Max fine fishing courses. Not to mention meeting board members on hte water. I second Jims fine books. and of course read this forum's past posts.