Fly Fusion Forums

Need To Learn A New Cast.

Tungsten

I've been practicing a simple spey cast, not sure of the name.When I'm on river right i bring it up toward me do a D loop and roll cast it out.Works well on my single handed rods.I'm looking for a cast for when I'm on river left(I'm right handed).If someone could recommend the names of some i could then look them up on You Tube. This would be for casting a nymph rig.

You want to bring the fly line upstream of you so you can form the D loop off your right shoulder, correct? A snap-t or circle spey would accomplish this. Otherwise you can always bring your casting hand across your body and do the same cast you're using off your left shoulder. A perry poke would also work well in this situation. The best thing to do is learn all the single hand spey casts off either shoulder so you can fish either side of the river in any direction of wind.

For making upstream presentations, the Snake Roll is my favorite cast. This cast is great for lifting deeply sunk flies and will generate high line speed to energize the D loop and subsequent forward casting loop. It is also a very clean cast (touch and go), creating very little disturbance on the water.

For making upstream presentations, the Snake Roll is my favorite cast. This cast is great for lifting deeply sunk flies and will generate high line speed to energize the D loop and subsequent forward casting loop. It is also a very clean cast (touch and go), creating very little disturbance on the water.

looks like it would work.