Fly Fusion Forums

Qusetion About A Bird?

Was fishing a stretch in the city about 5 days ago, when I hooked into my 1st fish a huge bird came flying towards me to the point were I yelled "hey" just to scare it a little, he/she was coming right me. So anyways it lands about 3 rocks over maybe 15' away, very close. I hooked another and swoosh this bird comes right at me, now Im like "beat it buddy this is my fish". This continued until I left an hour later, landed 6 fish and the bird did the same thing everytime. I thought it was a Blue Herron at first but because it was so close to me I could clearly see it was not Blue/Grey whatever color a Heron is. This thing was the size of a Heron but it was multiple colors of beigey brown/grey with a very light colored chest area it also had black stripes on its chest. My question is, is there any other huge birds on the river besides Herons and has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Was it an osprey??? They have been all over the river this year

No this thing was huge like a Heron, long legs, very tall bird, long beak, standing on the rocks etc. I have spent some time watching the Osprey's this year, there seems to be a siting regardless of were I go, they are quite fun to watch.

Conor,

Im sure thats it man, Mottled color some nice striping, yup Im sure thats the one. This bird was not afraid of me, he/she was sketching me out abit lol! He was low holing me and then wanting my fish to, wouldnt leave me alone. Were ever he came from Im guessing people were feeding it.

Thanks.

I called the # and calls cant be connected, I wasnt surprized. So I filled out the form and emailed it in, will post if they contact me or say anything interesting. After doing some reading apparently they are quite a rare siting. Guess I shouldve snapped a few shots of it setting its wings while landing right beside me but this would all take place while I was fighting/landing the fish lol!

There was one last year along the shore at Lake Sundance. He looked a little out of place sitting on a paddle boat. I used to see them quite often while tromping through the cattails while duck hunting. Like Conor says, they have an interesting croaking call.