Fly Fusion Forums

My Quest For Golden Trout Or How I Learned To Find Snow Beautiful

Heimdallr

Last Saturday I made the long drive down to Barnaby Ridge to do the hike to Southfork Lakes. I left Red Deer at around 7:30 and after a quick stop at Wholesale Sports to pick up some 7x tippet and size 18 flies (neither of which I can get in Red Deer) I arrived at the trailhead around 1:00pm. I quickly geared up and began my ascent. Absolutely beautiful hike and the incline is indeed a killer, but manageable.

DSCF3155.jpg

DSCF3168.jpg

DSCF3174.jpg

DSCF3183.jpg

DSCF3205.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to stop and stay at the first lake (I wanted to hike into the 2nd) as it started to rain shortly after I arrived and I decided to make camp and go gung-ho to the 2nd lake first thing in the morning. I also didn't get much fishing done as setting up the camp and starting a fire in the rain so that I could eat occupied most of my time before dark. I did, however, see a few risers and witness a small, but gorgeous trout swimming in the shallows.

DSCF3236.jpg

DSCF3237.jpg

I went to sleep with it raining fairly heavily, but excited for the next day's fishing. Tragically, the gods had other plans for me...

DSCF3243.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

DSCF3248.jpg

I awoke to about 3 inches of snow with it still snowing very heavily. Part of me definitely wanted to fish anyway because I had travelled all this way and, well, because I'm just like that. Thankfully, rationality prevailed and I packed up camp for the hike out. Cold air had settled into the basin where the lakes are and it was uncomfortably chilly to say the least. I was also not, in the least, prepared for snow. Once I got out onto the open slope and the air was much warmer (probably around zero) the hike got much more enjoyable. The mountains looked gorgeous and the air was so crisp I almost forgot I had come for the goldens. The hike out in the snow actually ended up being my favourite part of the whole experience.

DSCF3284.jpg

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3300.jpg

Fair warning to the golden trout if they are reading this: next year, IT IS ON.

That sounds familiar to some of my golden experiences...Took the wrong trail and ended up at the wrong lakes looking for Rainy Ridge the first time. Second trip hiked to Coral Lake and it ended up being epic to say the least, snowed the entire two day hike in. They make you work for em! Luckily, my second and third ettempts were successful, try again!