Fly Fusion Forums

Magnetic Release

I picked up a magnetic release at the Fishing Hole Sale and am trying to figure out how to attach it to the net. I would like to attach it to the loop so the handle is down. The strap that came with the release is about 3/4" in wide so the only the only way I can see to attach it is cutting a slit in the mesh. I'm not sure I want to do that, so does anyone have a better idea?

Regards Mike

Why? I've always wondered that.

It just seems easier. You reach back and grab the handle, yank it off the magnet and slip it under the fish.

Why? I've always wondered that.

I find it easier to reach over my shoulder and grab the handle..but see alot of guys packing them handle down..with the magnet set up I'd imagine the chance of loosing your net would increase as well. either way i guess, I don't use my net very much anyway, for measuring mostly.

I find it easier to reach over my shoulder and grab the handle..but see alot of guys packing them handle down..with the magnet set up I'd imagine the chance of loosing your net would increase as well. either way i guess, I don't use my net very much anyway, for measuring mostly.

I agree I have the handle up and it is very easy to get at. Also gives you a couple of feet (depending on the size of your net) of cord length, and an added bonus your wet net rubs against your waders not your back. Also I would think you would be more likely to bash your magnet on a rock with it on the other end of your net.

I like to carry my net handle up, that way the lower part of the net dangles and gets caught up in bush effectively tripping me, yanking me back by the shoulder or snapping back and nailing me squarely in the back. It also acts as a great catcher for flies on a bad back cast. Mind you it has carried my lunch, water bottle, caught dragonflies and the odd errant indicator. It's been a basket for mushrooms, blueberries, and saskatoons. I once used it to scoop up a large rattler in BC to get it out of the way.

My net is a bit of a comfort to me as it gives me promise of willey browns yet to enjoy it's webbed interior. I like running it under a trout that will not fit inside, smug joy. I often never use the little wooden sidekick but feel lost without her, so she hangs behind my shoulder encouraging me to take just one more cast in the failing light with promise of things to come.