Fly Fusion Forums

Where Are The Signs?

Was down at the Fish Creek Park boat launch and noticed some persons carrying a large bag (containing a nice sized brown) and placing it in their car. Afterwards they headed back down to the river to fish more. I was concerned that these people were poaching and wanted to at least have a warden come and check things out. I do not keep fish form the river and really never knew what the regs were around keeping fish. I could not find a RAPP sign anywhere. I had to call the Bow River Shuttles and got the number from them. The number is now saved in my phone, but my question is " Are there any RAP signs anywhere on the Bow?" Maybe I am blind, but would it not be a good idea to have these posted right on the information boards located at the put ins and take outs? I am sure this should help people who are not avid fisherman (dogwalkers, hikers,etc) but want to report someone who is potentially poaching? Having a posted number would have helped me at the time I wanted to report as well. I could not find a number anywhere down at Fish Creek Boat Launch. Anyone have ideas or comments on this? ;mornCoffee:

Very good point.

I have also noticed a lack of signage (none) at the river access points? How about TU Bow River Chapter spending some of their money on signs that state the regulations, RAP number, along the lower Bow access points?

My way of thinking is when a poacher approaches a parking area and reads a big sign with the regs and the RAP number it may make them have a second thought about breaking a law? Also enlightening non anglers on the regulations, a win-win .

One thing for certain is signage would certainly have no negative effect..

Agreed there should be more signs for the none angling community,this would also make people who poach think twice.

The #is on the back of your licence.

Goes to show how often I actually LOOK at my licence. However, point is, the number should be posted at these locations for ALL to use and see, not just fisherpeople. :cheers:

So did you get the license plate at least? You can still call it in. Confrontation might be tricky, but subtly getting the license plate would help RAP track them down.

Was down at the Fish Creek Park boat launch and noticed some persons carrying a large bag (containing a nice sized brown) and placing it in their car. Afterwards they headed back down to the river to fish more. I was concerned that these people were poaching and wanted to at least have a warden come and check things out. I do not keep fish form the river and really never knew what the regs were around keeping fish. I could not find a RAPP sign anywhere. I had to call the Bow River Shuttles and got the number from them. The number is now saved in my phone, but my question is " Are there any RAP signs anywhere on the Bow?" Maybe I am blind, but would it not be a good idea to have these posted right on the information boards located at the put ins and take outs? I am sure this should help people who are not avid fisherman (dogwalkers, hikers,etc) but want to report someone who is potentially poaching? Having a posted number would have helped me at the time I wanted to report as well. I could not find a number anywhere down at Fish Creek Boat Launch. Anyone have ideas or comments on this? ;mornCoffee:

So did you get the license plate at least? You can still call it in. Confrontation might be tricky, but subtly getting the license plate would help RAP track them down.

Didn't need to. I called the RAP line and an officer called me back right away. He said he was two minutes away, and he got there in less than that. He did find the fish, and had the SUV torn apart and all of their stuff (cooler with fish, fishing licences,etc) were all spread out on the vehicle. He gave me a wink as we headed down to the river with the the drift boat. They were definetely caught in the act! :clapping:

I love a happy ending!

Didn't need to. I called the RAP line and an officer called me back right away. He said he was two minutes away, and he got there in less than that. He did find the fish, and had the SUV torn apart and all of their stuff (cooler with fish, fishing licences,etc) were all spread out on the vehicle. He gave me a wink as we headed down to the river with the the drift boat. They were definetely caught in the act! :clapping:

That is awesome to hear, we too often hear of stories of COs not getting back to people and not showing up. Hope you get your reward too!

Good to hear that they got there so quick. A friend of mine and I called RAP once last year when a fellow drifting by in a P.O.S crappy tire boat and asked how the fishing was. We said not so great pretty slow .Then he decided to show us how his day went and pulled his net out of the water. so to say it was about 24" to 26" DEAD BROWN GOOD. I cant belive that there is still people out there that have no idea about the regulations on the bow. They get them with a licence if they got one at all. Unfortunatlly we never heard back from the wildlife officers but we assumed they were on there way down to mac. So now any of us will ever have a chance to catch and release that brown. The catch and release system is awsome i think we got some great photos of cutties caught a few weeks apart and matched them to be the same fish out of the same hole in the livingstone. Pretty sweet. Anywho thanks for helping the rivers dude. Good on yah.

Hats off to you and F&W and the Officers down at Fish Creek. It is nice to know that someone is showing is listening on the other end and doing something.

I have noticed a greater presence on that part of the river so hopefully these poachers will get the message.

Andrew

Was on the Livingston this week and was impressed how many "Attention anglers" signs there were, I haven't been there in a while, so maybe they've been there for a couple years, but a step in the right direction. We were even in a pretty remote spot and I looked up and there was a sign on a tree.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im never surprised by poachers and where you can find them but eating a bow river fish.....yuck! Dont these people think about heavy metals and agricultural run off. If im going to eat something its going to come from a clean environment....there is a reason why we should not eat things like clams and liver but oh well.

a great day of fishing is only made better by calling in a poacher!