Fly Fusion Forums

Big Lake Trout

Hawgstoppah

Went out with my boss on Flathead Lake (montana, by Kalispell). We chartered a boat for lakers, and I ended up with a 17lb, 37 inch trophy... released to fight another day.

the%20big%20one.jpg

We then got a couple smaller ones, which we kept for the BBQ.. and wow they are delicious! The ones we kept were 8 and 7 pounders. Those were sitting at 50-60ft, while the big one was taken from 120ft. We did go after some lake whites, and for the one hour we spent on those, I think I had the best non-stop fishing action of my life. They were at a spot in 50ft of water, and we jigged for them. As soon as you got your hook to the bottom and gave it a jig, you had a take. Insane. One hour = 50 fish landed. We did keep some lake whites too, and there also very tasty (much to my suprise).

trolling%202.jpg

Ken%20and%20Laker.jpg

Lake%20trout%20BBQ.jpg

The at the dock at Blaine Lake, the kids actually (finally) caught there first fish... ain't sunfish great? There like perch but more numerous (and MUCH easier to catch)..

Kailey...

Kaileys%20first%20fish.jpg

and Megan...

Megans%20first%20fish.jpg

and we had a riot catching those sunfish. There must have been schools of 200-300 under the dock. All under 6 inches, but who cares :lol:

Glad the family holiday was a success. Great pics of the girls with their catch. That big laker is a beauty.

Are we hitting the Bow this week? It's going to be sensational fishing by mid week.

Thanks guys... the big laker was a ton of fun. 20+ minutes of pumping and reeling to surface that tank :lol:

TM... maybe end of week. Leaving on a california run Monday.. gotta pay the bills for this danged vacation somehow.. and save up for our upcoming steelie trip :lol: I'll be in calgary area either friday / sat - or monday'ish. Cya then ;)

Great looking fish! You think if I posted I pic of a Bow River 'bow on a Boga Grip, I'd get a few comments? I'd sure know just what he weighed!!

Nice lookin' lake house also.

I have some great memories playing around with sunfish down south when I was a kid. They can get up towards a 1/2 to 3/4 of a lb. in weight. Pound for pound, they are fantastic fighters. And cooperative!