Fly Fusion Forums

Building Your Own Fly Rod

ladystrange

Guest bigbadbrent

I'm actually starting a rod in the next week or so at fly's etc....can't wait to be catching fish on my own flies, tossed on my own rod..siccckk

There's a few here that build. My recommendation would be to build a 'specialty' rod. ie. a 2 wt, or a back up 6 wt. Start with something inexpensive. In Calgary, you can't go wrong with Wayne at Fishtales. Dan craft is probably the best way to go for blanks.

SilverDoctor,

Trying to figure out what you used for the handle in the 2nd picture. From left>right, it looks like maple>cork ring>burled cork>birch tree bark>burled cork>cork ring>hardwood.

Is the center section birch tree bark? How did you seal the sap?

regards,

Don

SilverDoctor,

Trying to figure out what you used for the handle in the 2nd picture. From left>right, it looks like maple>cork ring>burled cork>birch tree bark>burled cork>cork ring>hardwood.

Is the center section birch tree bark? How did you seal the sap?

regards,

Don

Hi Don, you have the the sequence of materials dead on, great eye. Yes the center section is Birch bark. I dried the bark and peeled it. Not much sap in the bark. I could trade you the info for a bamboo blank ....

Ha ha. I actually had to experiment a bit with some smaller sections before I got it to work. But I think I have it down now. I have some simple notes I kept on it to remind myself for next time. If you pm me I will dig them up and email em to you during the week. I did go through a bit of bark to find the right stuff. Have to get out this fall and find some more fallen deadfall. Maybe on a Raven trip.

i love you guys, you are so awesome. everyone is so willing to share info. Doc, i will pm you when i get back from the coast. beautiful work.

i am thinking a 4pc 3 or 4wt.

brent, could you pm me on where you are building yours...

i'm not sure if i want to go with a blank or if i want to build with bamboo. i think the first one will probably be a blank.

Hi Don, you have the the sequence of materials dead on, great eye. Yes the center section is Birch bark. I dried the bark and peeled it. Not much sap in the bark. I could trade you the info for a bamboo blank ....

Ha ha. I actually had to experiment a bit with some smaller sections before I got it to work. But I think I have it down now. I have some simple notes I kept on it to remind myself for next time. If you pm me I will dig them up and email em to you during the week. I did go through a bit of bark to find the right stuff. Have to get out this fall and find some more fallen deadfall. Maybe on a Raven trip.

GREAT stuff. ;)