Fly Fusion Forums

Night Time Browns

bjbailey

Hey All,

The fish were rising tonight and I managed to hook three fish this size on hoppers; this was the first fish I've caught on a hopper this year on the bow. I think it is foreshadowing what August should bring us all!

Brandon

post-3068-1280296559.jpg

This is my first summer fishing the Bow and am having a hell of a time breaking the 24" mark. That has been my goal all summer and so far I have maxed out at 23.5.

I've also noticed that outside of the one at 23.5, I seem to have hit a ceiling at 22" or 22.5. I have caught dozens of fish at 22 or 22.5 this spring/summer but next to nothing over this or even close under. It seems like fish tend to be 16"-18" bows or 22" browns with very little variation outside of this. Does anybody else notice similar trends with little size variation?

Thanks.

Brandon

You realize that there are places, even on some of the best US streams that this size would be considered once on a lifetime fish. Larger fish are there...

This is my first summer fishing the Bow and am having a hell of a time breaking the 24" mark. That has been my goal all summer and so far I have maxed out at 23.5.

I've also noticed that outside of the one at 23.5, I seem to have hit a ceiling at 22" or 22.5. I have caught dozens of fish at 22 or 22.5 this spring/summer but next to nothing over this or even close under. It seems like fish tend to be 16"-18" bows or 22" browns with very little variation outside of this. Does anybody else notice similar trends with little size variation?

Thanks.

Brandon

24" is a tough mark to beat on the Bow. Breaking 22" in your first Bow season is plenty good. Keep at 'er.

You'll find certain age/stage structures in different areas of any river. I agree that the 21-22" brown stage is doing pretty well in the city.

Thanks guys,

I am really happy with my season so far and certainly wasn't complaining! I am well aware that there are few places in the world where we can catch trout on par with the Bow. I agree that 24" is a lofty goal but one that I hope to reach anyways. As for the age structure comment that I made, I was mostly just trying to learn a bit more about the Bow system and understand if it was just chance that I had caught such similarly sized fish or if it truly was a unique attribute of the habitat/ecosystem. Thanks for the info!

Brandon