Fly Fusion Forums

On The Hunt For Bull Trout

Just wondering what some of you are doing to get your flies down to the bullies in the deepest pools of the Highwood. I was running the dc type VI Rio line with heavy weighted double bunnies, clouser minnow; I am even going to try tying some T&A rainbows in an assortment of colors and weight the crap out of them as well. Nothing seems to sink fast enough to target those pigs in 15 to 20 feet of water. I have since replaced my fly line to streamer express short 200g 6-7 weight and considering adding a t-17 15ft tip to this.

I run a Rio Clouser Line with 10' of T-17, and weighted flys on a 8' mono leader. I haven't found many holes on the highwood my flys wont hit the bottom with this set up. NOTE the flys are HEAVY

But the main key is managing you lines decent into the depths by upstream mends

I run a Rio Clouser Line with 10' of T-17, and weighted flys on a 8' mono leader. I haven't found many holes on the highwood my flys wont hit the bottom with this set up. NOTE the flys are HEAVY

But the main key is managing you lines decent into the depths by upstream mends

I only have a 6wt rod. Do you think I'll have an issue with an over weight line on that rod? For the up river mend I just keep shooting line to the top of the pool and try to keep the line high for as long as possible. Is that what you mean?

For the setup I use I think it would be to heavy for the 6wt, but you can go a longer leader and a heavier fly. I have a few buddies that fish 6wts for bullies and do very well, The Humblefisherman only uses a 6wt for bullies and does better then pretty much everyone.

You are putting a tonne of weight into that rod with the sink tips so be careful a rod broken on a cast is no where as easy to swallow as a rod broken on a 32" bully. If I was to use a 6, which I do sometimes I would lighten the line load and push up the weight in the fly. You can plunk your heavy flies with a swing rather then a cast or do a slingshot cast with the heavy flys.

As for the up stream mend i mentioned, you want to cast into the hole. once your fly has sunk enough that you can't pull it out easily start throwing roll casts into the hole, your line will get eaten up by the push of the river and dive.

For the setup I use I think it would be to heavy for the 6wt, but you can go a longer leader and a heavier fly. I have a few buddies that fish 6wts for bullies and do very well, The Humblefisherman only uses a 6wt for bullies and does better then pretty much everyone.

You are putting a tonne of weight into that rod with the sink tips so be careful a rod broken on a cast is no where as easy to swallow as a rod broken on a 32" bully. If I was to use a 6, which I do sometimes I would lighten the line load and push up the weight in the fly. You can plunk your heavy flies with a swing rather then a cast or do a slingshot cast with the heavy flys.

As for the up stream mend i mentioned, you want to cast into the hole. once your fly has sunk enough that you can't pull it out easily start throwing roll casts into the hole, your line will get eaten up by the push of the river and dive.

Thank you for the help. I caught a 24 ish inch bully this past weekend and then grew frustrated to watch huge fish come up halfway to my fly and turn back around.

Just out of curiosity, what setup does the humblefisherman use?

Thank you for the help. I caught a 24 ish inch bully this past weekend and then grew frustrated to watch huge fish come up halfway to my fly and turn back around.

Here you go:) Humble Stick

tried a mouse on the Old Man this weekend and got a wicked take 1/2 the 30" bull out of the water on the take only to have him break off after a 10min fight.

I bought some mice flies too. I also heard the Swimmy Jimmy from slideinn.com is wicked for top water strikes.

• 3 weeks later...

I was getting my flies down maybe 15-20 feet easy with a big heavy fly and some split shot while using floating line, so it can be done. Just curious what everyone uses for stripping technique? I like to get it down there and then twitch it, but I haven't had much luck with that. After seeing a few friends catch bulls lately I have made this my new goal, to catch a bull before the snow flies. Any help?