Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing With Mans Best Friend...

my dog, Buddy, is a one year old "pointer mix" - a high energy hound, i would like to bring him along fishing with me, he is well trained and enjoys being outside, also, the wife would really appreciate me taking him along, in particular on my day trips to the back country...

but how good an idea is this? my concerns are him getting bored sitting around watching me fish, or him getting bored and jumping through a hole and spooking all the fish. i would just like to get some thoughts and opinions on bringing your dog along fishing, especially from you guys who own dogs and may have some first hand knowledge, thanks guys...

It will likely take some time to train him not to run into the holes you are fishing. I had a husky for years and nothing got her more excited than saying "let's go fishing!". Your dog will want to run through the woods and explore, just make sure he knows when to come back to you. It would be great for him, he will tire himself out with a day in the woods for sure.

my dog, Buddy, is a one year old "pointer mix" - a high energy hound, i would like to bring him along fishing with me, he is well trained and enjoys being outside, also, the wife would really appreciate me taking him along, in particular on my day trips to the back country...

but how good an idea is this? my concerns are him getting bored sitting around watching me fish, or him getting bored and jumping through a hole and spooking all the fish. i would just like to get some thoughts and opinions on bringing your dog along fishing, especially from you guys who own dogs and may have some first hand knowledge, thanks guys...

First few times go without bringing your fly rod, just walk and teach he what you expect from him!

It is as simple as that, When I fish with Fischer he can slip into the water beside me to cool off and I have no idea that he has done it and he is right at my feet, until he shakes off I used to have a bear bell on him to know where he was but now it is not needed.

Even my Golden Retriever does not go in the water, but if I or anyone near catches a fish he must supervise the retrieval and lament the release.

That being said you must train yourself to know where he is at all times and what he is doing , I failed that my last trip and it almost cost Fischer his life!

Think very hard as to if this is something you can do!

Make damn sure you can call off your dog instantly from what he/she is intent on doing @ the moment and where your dog is @ all times. Nothing will add more excitement to your day than a pissed off momma moose intent on stompin' your dog to jelly and your dog deciding the safest place to be is right behind the leader of the pack. I once had a young cowdog proudly gather up a week old moose calf when momma showed up. Them female mooses is determined bitches.

And they ain't got no sense of humor whatsoever.

Make damn sure you can call off your dog instantly from what he/she is intent on doing @ the moment and where your dog is @ all times. Nothing will add more excitement to your day than a pissed off momma moose intent on stompin' your dog to jelly and your dog deciding the safest place to be is right behind the leader of the pack. I once had a young cowdog proudly gather up a week old moose calf when momma showed up. Them female mooses is determined bitches.

all i do is let him go in the water right away when i arrive. let him get it out of his system. as for them getting bored i just throw sticks every time i change a spot and it keeps him entertained. he spooks fish sometimes but in my opinion its part of the fun. he is my really bad fishin buddy somedays and spooks every hole and other days he just sniffs flowers and does his own thing. i like the company of having my dog with me. and he gives me an excuse if i dont catch anything. i just tell my wife it was the dogs fault.

I borrowed a friends dog a few summers ago for my fishing/camping trips and she was the best fishing dog ever. At first she was a little tentative going in the rivers but by seasons end she loved it. While I fished , Kudra, would find a place in the shade and eat bugs. She would never go in the water where I fished and would never spook fish. When I did catch a fish she could care less. She also ignored cows, deer or any other wildlife. She was really well trained and would do anything she was told.

It was very sad when the season came to an end. Unfortunately Kudra and her owner moved on and I am back to solo fishing ventures.

The best is when you have a dog you don't look so stupid talking to yourself on the river!!

That's her loyally swimming beside me in my profile pic.

thanks for sharing the stories! sounds like i should take Buddy out to a local spot and just see how he behaves, hes pretty good about staying close, birds are his only weakness, but as soon as he loses sight of me, he always comes racing back to find me - not sure about moose!

dumb question - im guessing that a drink from the Bow is a bad idea, but creeks up in the eastern slopes should be okay for him to drink, shouldnt they? thanks again guys!

Not sure about the water thing. I know its often hard to keep a dog out of anything if they're determined, especially water on a hot day! I've taken my dog down to the Bow many times and often to MT and she's been pretty good. I echo what others have said about having to know where they are. This can sometimes distract from the moment of fishing you're in, but if the dog gets well trained then it can be great. I often have a long rope that I'll tie to a tree. This way, the dog gets to be outside/have fun, but I know where she is when I'm fishing. Then she runs like hell and gets all her energy out in-between holes.

A dog is also good to have on the Bow when you hike into a spot and want an "alarm" system that prevents drift boats from parking right next to you. This usually doesn't happen with experienced guides, but I've had it happen numerous times with "weekend guides" or folks with boats. Ever since I started bringing the dog along, haven't had that problem.

We are on our second lab now and she can be a struggle for me to manage when fly fishing. Our first Lab actually helped herself to another fishermans lunch once while we (he and I) were both in the water. Now my second lab is somewhat more manageable but I spend some time trying to shoo her back to shore so as not to swim thru the run. And then when she is on shore I spend too much time keeping an eye on her and consequently have been late on reacting to hits. Especially when fishing in the city near the bike path, she stays at home. The other hazard I find is when I am resting she can't see the line and therefore you have to be very careful when changing flies or line. When fishing outside the city in a secluded area she does come and i know what it means to her to get out and run and explore. Just three more months to pheasant season...sk

I was exploring some new brook trout water with a buddy and his 18 mo old setter. The dog raced ahead to each new hole and splashed water every which way, which was not funny, even the first time. But what really made me laugh was when I stepped up onto the bank to look for some morels and the dog followed me. He got into the middle of a bunch of raspberry canes and couldn't get back out! He thought we'd put him into a barbed cage! He went "ow woooooooo" for the next 5 minutes because he couldn't find the "door". Bone head.

Be realistic about your level of training and control - have you tested this control in a real life bear or moose encounter, if not, assume your dog will ignore your commands as a precaution. I would seriously doubt a 1 year old high energy dog is under any real control, at least to a level that he would be safe in the back country off leash.

Try having your dog sit in front of a bowl of irresistable food (like hamburger or a steak), have a friend with a well trained dog park their dog within reach of that same food, waiting. walk a couple hundred metres away, allow your dog to start eating. Then stop him, and call him to you before he is finished eating, if he is unwilling to walk away on one command to "come" then don't expect him to respond to any commands in a wildlife encounter. This is a simple control test which isolates and challenges a number of instinctual urges and measures your true level of control as pack leader.

My dog has been my companion fishing for 12 years, we have shared hundreds of amazing days and adventures together just be realistic about risks, and what your doing to mitigate them to ensure you both stay out there for years to come.

Generally taking your dog along is fine, it only becomes a problem when you hook-up a fish and they jump outta the water. As soon as I hook a fish, my lab makes it her mission to try and retrieve the fish, which makes landing fish A LOT more challenging. Now i just leash her up as soon as a have a fish on and try and hold her back while I land it. It also helps if you bring a ball or something to help occupy them.

Be realistic about your level of training and control - have you tested this control in a real life bear or moose encounter, if not, assume your dog will ignore your commands as a precaution. I would seriously doubt a 1 year old high energy dog is under any real control, at least to a level that he would be safe in the back country off leash.

Try having your dog sit in front of a bowl of irresistable food (like hamburger or a steak), have a friend with a well trained dog park their dog within reach of that same food, waiting. walk a couple hundred metres away, allow your dog to start eating. Then stop him, and call him to you before he is finished eating, if he is unwilling to walk away on one command to "come" then don't expect him to respond to any commands in a wildlife encounter. This is a simple control test which isolates and challenges a number of instinctual urges and measures your true level of control as pack leader.

My dog has been my companion fishing for 12 years, we have shared hundreds of amazing days and adventures together just be realistic about risks, and what your doing to mitigate them to ensure you both stay out there for years to come.

PSFG

Have all that covered!!!!

They both my Golden Retriever and Fischer will not touch food put in front of them if I tell them not to!

Only Fischer will not chase animals in the field, he will stand still, we have had hundreds of cows, horses, and mules (have to be careful of them) come up to us.

we have had a deer come tot he tail gate of the truck and Fischer just lifted his head and then went back to sleep, he has stopped me from going further up a path on the crow because he saw a skunk, he did not want to go further until the skunk left the path. (smart dog ehh)

He has spotted and warned me of 2 wolves and stood his ground ie not advanced just barked a loud bark when we spotted a bear in a gravel pit.. the bear took off at high speed.

the weekend he got sick we startled a momma Elk and Fischer just looked at it and let it pass, then watched it until it went out of sight.

Thor in the winter is great, will not leave me, in the summer he will chase so he stays home most times, and Mother Fairweather walks him..

Generally taking your dog along is fine, it only becomes a problem when you hook-up a fish and they jump outta the water. As soon as I hook a fish, my lab makes it her mission to try and retrieve the fish, which makes landing fish A LOT more challenging. Now i just leash her up as soon as a have a fish on and try and hold her back while I land it. It also helps if you bring a ball or something to help occupy them.

I would suggest that you always take the leash with you, its better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. As for taking a ball with you... there is really no need. If you are fishing the Bow simply walk to your spot on the river and look down, you will have your choice of "faded tennis" "blue sponge" or yellow Willow Park Golf

gonna take Buddy down to the Bow later today, take him for a bit of a run first, then rig up and just do some casting, see how he react s to the whole thing, hopefully its a smooth operation, but we'll just have to see!