Fly Fusion Forums

Etiquette Amoung Fishing Buddies

so, there is a good bit of talk about river etiquette, you see other anglers, you chat, see if its ok fishing upstream or downstream, etc, etc...

but not to often do we talk about etiquette amoung partners, so i'm here to fess up to my blunder the other day...

went out sunday morning with a friend good enough to teach me everything he knows about fly fishing, nice guy and all, so we are out fishing and i'm nymphing away, manage to catch a brown and then a white only three casts after, great morning for me since i'm a total rookie, my buddy notices that even after the comotion there are several risers - blunder here - so instead of noticing the hungry look in his eye and the dry fly already on his leader, i just wade out and start splating my nymph rig again - quickly putting down the risers and ruining my friends chance at a trout on the dry... didnt realize the blunder until after the fact, he was too nice to say anything about it, so i hope he reads this and understands that his student is just that - a student, who is susceptable to idiocy when faced with eager trout ;-)

was thinking i'm not the only idiot and just wanted to share the story and remind everyone to always help you're fishing buddies out, especially after you catch several fish and he has not landed a thing... oy!

so, there is a good bit of talk about river etiquette, you see other anglers, you chat, see if its ok fishing upstream or downstream, etc, etc...

but not to often do we talk about etiquette amoung partners, so i'm here to fess up to my blunder the other day...

went out sunday morning with a friend good enough to teach me everything he knows about fly fishing, nice guy and all, so we are out fishing and i'm nymphing away, manage to catch a brown and then a white only three casts after, great morning for me since i'm a total rookie, my buddy notices that even after the comotion there are several risers - blunder here - so instead of noticing the hungry look in his eye and the dry fly already on his leader, i just wade out and start splating my nymph rig again - quickly putting down the risers and ruining my friends chance at a trout on the dry... didnt realize the blunder until after the fact, he was too nice to say anything about it, so i hope he reads this and understands that his student is just that - a student, who is susceptable to idiocy when faced with eager trout ;-)

was thinking i'm not the only idiot and just wanted to share the story and remind everyone to always help you're fishing buddies out, especially after you catch several fish and he has not landed a thing... oy!

Good on ya for realizing that. At least you learn from your mistakes.

So you "splashed the pot", eh!! :P Knowing that you're a newbie, your buddy should totally understand (as disappointing as it was, he was in "teaching mode", after all!), but should have asked if he could have his turn... I know the buddies I fish with "communicate" a lot (sharing info, etc.) and switch/share spots, as well (sometimes we are that close together depending on where we are fishing), and even sometimes we are both fishing the same run and even alternate... Once I invited Kyle (Annapolis) to fish where there were rising fish just up from me (10' - 15') - they had walked up to a run I was fishing... After he and his buddy caught a couple on the dry, he insisted that I come up and try to get one (to which I obliged). Some guys will be bothered by the situation you speak of, but a "true" fishing buddy won't loose too much sleep over it!! LoL :P

P

*Edit* I even poached BBT's water once <--poke--< . He's still doesn't let me live that one down!!

I think the main thing is realizing the situation and keeping it in mind for the future. I'm fairly new on oars and during a float one day was coming down a side a bit close to where I fish with a friend/fishing buddy. In fact, it was a spot he introduced to me. Anyhow, as I'm rowing by I realize I'm too close to the folks on shore and begin to move away. Little did I realize that my buddy was on shore and prompted to joke and give me sH*&. Anyhow, realizing what I had done and not wanting to ruin the friendship I called him the next day and apologized. In the end, we didn't loose sleep over it and remain friends and fishing buddies.

LOL taco.

Amogst buddies? depends who your with. Most of the guys I fish with would rather see the other guy catch one than themselves. We end up arguing over who gets to cast to risers half the time. Instead of who should cast we're all like "you go ahead man... I want to see you get him".

and then there's greg who paoches my dry fly fish the other night!!! LOLLLOL (I was done fishing for it though it was down and when I was wading out he casting over it and got it... LOL... but I'm not gonna let him live it down)

That's why husbands should fish with wives. Then there's no argument. Cuz the wife gets the good water first and always and always gets it back when the fish start to rise. It's just easier than paying the consequences.

I actually prefer fishing by myself. I didn't think I would. There are a few guys I like fishing with...and we like to watch each other catch fish and are like the Chip n'Dale Chipmunks when we get to the water."After you".."No, after you!!"

When I'm with my buddies, we sometimes do what's called "combat fishing." We're standing shoulder to shoulder aiming for the same fish.

With people I don't normally fish with, I use some etiquette, except if it's Rickr, then I just jump into his water and catch as many as I can.

With my good friends we often cast at the same fish like fishfreak. After he has caught significantly more fish than me, a well place rock ususally falls from the sky, it's happened to both of us and neither my buddy or I can explain this strange rocks. I think it all depends on who your fishing with and how serious they are, most of my friends don't give a crap about etiquette amongst ourselves as long as we have a good time, it's all good.

When I'm with my buddies, we sometimes do what's called "combat fishing." We're standing shoulder to shoulder aiming for the same fish.

With people I don't normally fish with, I use some etiquette, except if it's Rickr, then I just jump into his water and catch as many as I can.

Wouldn't have been so bad if I had been catching anything, you arrogant little.......

I actually prefer fishing by myself. I didn't think I would. There are a few guys I like fishing with...and we like to watch each other catch fish and are like the Chippendale Chipmunks when we get to the water."After you".."No, after you!!"

Botangles:

Do these chipmunks take their clothes off for you?

Oh...Chip 'n' Dale...I get it...from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons...

:P

Smitty

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself...I read your post and started to picture stripper Chipmunks, and that made me think of the old SNL skit of Patrick Swayze vs Chris Farley Chippendale auditions, and by that point I was choking on my coffee...yeah, my brain is pretty weird...)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=32172165

Botangles:

Do these chipmunks take their clothes off for you?

Oh...Chip 'n' Dale...I get it...from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons...

:P

Smitty

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself...I read your post and started to picture stripper Chipmunks, and that made me think of the old SNL skit of Patrick Swayze vs Chris Farley Chippendale auditions, and by that point I was choking on my coffee...yeah, my brain is pretty weird...)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=32172165

Edited!! I thought of that SNL skit as I wrote it too!!