Fly Fusion Forums

If You Wife Will Only Let You Get 2 Rods?

Tadpole

my wife is only letting me get 2 rods my other ones are on teir last legs. Like any calgarian i am on the ow frequently and also get into the high mountain streams. I do like smaller water. so for a reglar schmo like me what size rods do you guys suggest. for the bow i am currently sing a 5wt and some days i think it is too small. for the high country i use a 3wt. i fish a lot of water like dogpound, liv, stauffer, and some alpine lakes. i wouldlike an all round rod for that stuff. do you suggest a 2 or 3wt. and for the bow type waters, i range from oldman, to bow, to again some lakes and such. i would also like to get into some pike and bullies. like i said i have a 5wt for that and it has treated me well. I do not want to break the bank either.

OK, I'll say it before someone else does...

"If your wife will only let you get 2 rods"....get a new wife.

Seriously though, 6 wt for Bow and lakes, 4 wt for Crow, Stauffer, mountain streams etc. Going too light makes it tough to cast when the wind starts to blow some.

OK, I'll say it before someone else does...

"If your wife will only let you get 2 rods"....get a new wife.

Seriously though, 6 wt for Bow and lakes, 4 wt for Crow, Stauffer, mountain streams etc. Going too light makes it tough to cast when the wind starts to blow some.

i knew someone had to say it. That was what i told her as well. thanks for the input. i have been really torn on the small rod, which to go for. i like my 3wt but usually have my 5 with me on lakes just for what you said about the wind. to me though a 4wt for a place like dog or stauffer in my opinion would be too big. Now i am saying that withought trying it so i may just be flapping my gums. i can understand it more on a place like liv. i find stauffer little red and dog etc. are covered enough that there is little wind.

Half the fun of fishing is getting new eqiupment without the wife finding out.

Note to all single guys out there.Before you pop the question,buy any or all the fishing equipment you may or may not need.

Your welcome.

Note to all single guys out there.Before you pop the question,buy any or all the fishing equipment you may or may not need.

Your welcome.

tomcruiselaugh.gif

I'd say either a 3 or 4 weight, and a 6 weight.

Just tell her it's like playing golf with only a driver and a putter....

IMO, I would go with a 3wt and a 7wt. If she caves later on, it leaves a nice opening for a 5wt, but you can get a lot of use on that range. the 7 might be on the high side for trout, but if you get into some larger ones, or want to hit pike, you'll be glad you have it.

I agreee with the 3 and 7 - 3 is good enough for light nymphing on the mountain streams as well as dry fly fishing.

What is it about the other rods that makes you think you have to get rid of em? You could try to repair them if its just cork or guides, or if they have a lifetime warranty you could just introduce them to a car door.

I like lighter rods, so I wouldn't go for anything over a 6wt for trout lakes or the bow....and I fish some private lakes where a fish over 10lbs is not uncommon.

If you're unsure of the 3 or 4wt, check out the Amundson Midge at FishTales. It's a rod modelled after bamboo rods with two tips (a 3 and 4wt tip) and a moderate action. Use the 4 wt tip with a 4 wt line, and a 3wt with the 3 wt line. Lots of other applications, but simple put, you have two options depending on the creek.

Your welcome.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife is gonna sell all my equipment for what I told her I paid for it ( i think she would have a minor stroke if she knew what it all really cost ).

ps. If i could only have 2 rods I would go with a 7 and a 4 weight. The 7 is not only good for the heavy 3 nymph rigs on the bow, its also a great rod for pike and could even be used for steel heading . While a 3 weight seems like a good idea, if you spend anytime on the crow you will appreciate having something with a little more backbone when the wind picks up while still having a rod lite enough to play on the smaller streams.IMO, ideally what a guy really needs is a 7, a 5 and a 3(what i personally have in my arsenal). Then you are set for anything in alberta.

Your welcome.

women have the same philosophy with shoes. My wife came with about 80 pairs when we tied the knot

oh if only my wife knew how much i cost. she doesnt spend a fraction of what i do on hobbies. and i have more shoes than her. only have one pair of running shoes but i have motocross boots, wading boots, climbing shoes etc. i think i may have a problem

I'm concerned as to why you say they (your rods) are on their last legs... A decent rod should last a life time (if you take care of it) unless you abuse them. Maybe look at getting them refurbished (Colin - CDone will do a great job and is very reasonable with what he would charge) if that's what they need and put the $ towards a decent 7 or 8 wt.

Just a thought!

P

I was in the same place as you this spring I sold all four of my rod reel combo's and after much debate and advice from fellow forum members I decided that I could fish anywhere in southern ab for trout with a 6wt and a 4wt. I was convinced that I would be happy with only two rods but less than a month later I came up with enough money for a sweet 2wt as well. Now I am done. ;)

I was in the same place as you this spring I sold all four of my rod reel combo's and after much debate and advice from fellow forum members I decided that I could fish anywhere in southern ab for trout with a 6wt and a 4wt. I was convinced that I would be happy with only two rods but less than a month later I came up with enough money for a sweet 2wt as well. Now I am done. ;)

Done? Who are you trying to kid?

get a wife who fishes?!? then you can fight over who gets to buy which rods.

the Midge is a good option in the 2 for 1 rod. i have it for demo if you want to take a look and to cast it with both tips, please let me know.

as for the other rod, 5 or 6wt, unless you want to pike fish, then i'd split the difference and go with a 7.

My wife asked me last year: "How many personal fly rods do you have?"... "38"..."Why on earth do you need THAT many?" .... "19 different fishing situations and a backup for each."

" You've had that answer ready for some time, haven't you?"...... "Uh huh." :)

j

hey thanks for all the great info. much appreciated. The reason i say my rods are on their last legs is because first off they are both just cheapies (you get what you pay for) and all the guids are actually worn to the point it is scraping my line up. and a couple guids are worn just about all the way through. that said you can obviously see they have lived their life so it is time for me to upgrade.

Guest bottomfeeder

I tell my little brother all the time to get equipped with as much toys as you can before tying the knot, that way your set up and she knows what she is getting into. Now if I can only find a few hours to sneek away every week... any advice? Starting flyfishing at my stage in life is not easy - it is crazy how fast you get hooked.