Fly Fusion Forums

Acl Surgery

Anyone here ever go outside of Canada to get ACL surgery? My wife blew out her ACL skiing this winter. 8-12 months to get an appointment to see how long the wait for surgery will be (man, I love it here, but this health care wait for "elective" procedures blows). So we are likely looking at 2 years before she can get cut. Looking for alternatives outside of Canada, or pay to play clinics in Canada. Anyone have any experience?

My sister has sent a few of her patients with knee issues to Great Falls to have surgery done when they don't want to wait to have the surgery done here. If you'd like, I could ask her the name of the Dr. and clinic that she recommends.

Rick,

A good friend of mine from Idaho - I lived with her and her ex when I attended school there (she now lives in Golden, BC with her partner - who is originally from Austria). They are both professional Mtn guides (internationally renown)... Anyway, he had his hip replaced in India!! The exp. was unbelievable (from what he's mentioned)! All for CDN $7,000 (as he would have had to wait 3 years in BC to have it done locally and his legs are [obviously] his livelihood). He was even interviewed on CBC when they did a story on medical tourism. Anyway, the cost included consults with his canadian physician (x-rays other related diagnostics), travel, surgery, and recovery (on a beach resort with private nurse, private room which incld: high speed internet and sat TV and private kitchen - not sure he was able to enjoy the beach so much, however :)) . I think the whole thing was 3 weeks. I can pass along his name and the link to his interview if you want... Obviously this can be a very controversial subject with pros & cons on either side (I'm not debating either, just providing info of someone I personally know that had a VERY positive exp.)... But knowing Tom (my friend's partner) I know for a fact that he has not embellished his exp. at all!

*Edit* British trained surgeon, as well!

P

Anyone here ever go outside of Canada to get ACL surgery? My wife blew out her ACL skiing this winter. 8-12 months to get an appointment to see how long the wait for surgery will be (man, I love it here, but this health care wait for "elective" procedures blows). So we are likely looking at 2 years before she can get cut. Looking for alternatives outside of Canada, or pay to play clinics in Canada. Anyone have any experience?

Guest frypan

no need to travel over seas, you can get id done in vancouver . my (sister in law) is a nurse (top grades in her class) at the cambie center (lives in vancuover) , check it out . (she also works in the public system) not looking to (debate bublic vs private)

if somnething goes wrong in india (long way from canada) i think it would be a bigger problem than vancouver, (just my hunch though)

here is the web site ;

www.csc-surgery.com

Having recently traveled to India, I'd much rather recover on a beach in Goa then with all the naked fat asses on "Wreck"! :P Plus the food and customer service were AMAZING - can't say that for Vancouver (consistantly, anyway)!!

no need to travel over seas, you can get id done in vancouver . my (sister in law) is a nurse (top grades in her class) at the cambie center (lives in vancuover) , check it out . (she also works in the public system) not looking to (debate bublic vs private)

if somnething goes wrong in india (long way from canada) i think it would be a bigger problem than vancouver, (just my hunch though)

here is the web site ;

www.csc-surgery.com

slightly off topic but... being in travel insurance, i thought i would pass on that if you have travel insurance and take a trip specifcally to have a surgery, any expenses caused by the surgery or anything related to surgery or a complication arising from the surgery would not be covered under your insurance policy.

that would include additional medical expenses and new flights from India back to Canada in the event you have to stay longer for recovery. just thought i would throw that out there.

having been a travel agent as well. the rough cost of a one-way economy class airline ticket to vancouver is approximately 2900.00. that's a full fare nonrestricted ticket.

Rick, my brother and a few friends have had similar work done on their knees. If I remember correctly the Doctor's name was Penner(sp), and after consult appointment in Calgary the surgery was performed in Didsbury and in another case Banff. Total time line was less than a year...hope this helps....sk

Not sure this applies but I dramatically shortened wait times for a couple scopes on both knees by being willing to have the procedures done in Golden instead of Banff (Dr. Heards office) - At the time, they rented the Op Room in Golden a day or two a week for this purpose. Might be worth inquiring.

As for my replacements, for both of them, I was offered dates about half the waiting time due to cancellations that occured (while waiting) - it seemed to me that my need to have the surgeries done to remain gainfully employed helped get me get dates with much less waiting period than others I have spoken with. Don't know if that applies to your wife's situation or not.