Fly Fusion Forums

Coconuts

I was floating the Bow for the first time on Monday and we saw a couple coconuts. Sure made us curious.

My major concern is if this happens on a regular basis, and these are commonly stuffed with seeds of various kinds, it seems like it could lead to an invasive species issue. I think we already have enough trouble with purple loosestrife, caragana, etc.

Just take the coconuts home and bake a cake.

I'd much rather find a coconut than another shopping cart, bike or used carpet. Besides when this global warming fad kicks into high gear, we can grow our own and not have to import them anymore.

Who wants cake?

Coconuts

Yeah, right. Sure some people claim to have seen them. This is all a publicity stunt. Sasquatch, Ogopogo, now this.

They're probably just balls of yarn, or water balloons.

Till I see actual photos or someone captures one, I can chalk this up to mass hallucinations and overactive imaginations.

Coconuts..................................jeez.

I'm all for keeping out invasive species, but how cool would it be to have Palm Trees on the Bow? That would be awesome. Just like a little piece of Hawaii in Alberta. I bet they are not susceptible to Pine Beetles either! Win/win!!

:clapping:

This statement is ignorant there is a reason the gangi [sic] river is so polluted , don't bring the same crap over here !

I never said that a few coconuts wasn't a problem! But blaming one particular ethnic/cultural/religious group is!! To be totally unbiased, go off on all the "young punks" that raft during the summer and lose their flip flops, pieces of styrofoam coolers, beer cans/bottles, lighters, underwear, bikini tops (and bottoms), slurpee straws & cups & lids, tampon applicators, condoms, as well as all the discarded bikes, wood, road signs, etc. Oh and I almost forgot, the pollution in the Bow has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other 1,000,000 + people of any other ethnic or cultural/religious backgrounds that drive the roads, fertilize their lawns and salt/sand their driveways & streets!!! Blaming one particular ethnic group or specific culture/religious group which may or may not be responsible for a few coconuts is ignorant and if you cannot see that then it's obvious that you are!! <--poke--<

P

well said lol

*edit, also, can you please return my bikini bottoms. thanks.

oo, oo, can i be the tempest?!?

hey, we can all call bylaw on the next person we see throwing junk into the river. i wonder how bylaw would take it if i called and told them the city was discharging treated crap into the river? would the city give it's self a fine for dumping waste?

anyway, although not particulary relgious myself, i can appreciate ones need to celebrate to a particular idol but doing X

but in my personal opinion, which has no meaning in relation to anything, if a river has been subsituted for the ocean, why cant something like a back yard pond with flowing water be used in stead?

this is a serious question, is there a reason not have the ceremony in your own yard and toss whatever coconuts you want.

why does one need to throw objects (not exclusive to haggis or coconuts) in to the river?

i agree, it is littering and unsightly. maybe i will b climb a tree with my camera and video tape it. i want to be THAT GIRL

Guest frypan
Damn those Protestant Scots to hell for inventing such polluting games and cultural celebrations (ie. Robbie Burns' Day & haggis)!! :P

i defenatly think they shoulf do sonmething about the golf balls to . we colected over 100 yellow ball one float 2 year ago . this is a big problem as well . this was at the tale end of run off and they were everywere.

if the coconut were flo yellow you would see them easyer , there are quite a few, beign brown you only see them when you almost step on them

the thing we can all take for this is this is a great river we live on , and most have no clues and take it for granted using it as a garbage dump. religion ceramonie or golf if it ends up in the river you are a law breaker poluter and should get a fine and have to pick up crap along the banks.

call me double ignorant now uberflie

anyway, although not particulary relgious myself, i can appreciate ones need to celebrate to a particular idol but doing X

but in my personal opinion, which has no meaning in relation to anything, if a river has been subsituted for the ocean, why cant something like a back yard pond with flowing water be used in stead?

this is a serious question, is there a reason not have the ceremony in your own yard and toss whatever coconuts you want.

All rivers make it to the ocean eventually, except for the one's that get irrigated to death.

Hey Peter

Coconut says "Anne and Chuck, Beat and Stan 1961" - it belonged to my Grandmother (and great Aunt) but has become a source of debate in my family as to who should have it, In definance of sillyness, a cousin sent it to me, and since then, I have been taking photos of it at interesting destinations and emailing them to my family members (kinda like hostage photos). definately the most well documented and travelled coconut in BNP LOL.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.

Blame it on the Swallows

• 2 weeks later...