Fly Fusion Forums

Need Breathable Wader Advice (waders For Amazons)

I'm not really Amazonian in height . . . but I'm starting to feel like it at 5'10".

A couple of months ago I went into a local fly shop to see about getting some waders. I was very insistent that I wanted women's waders (and I still am). In the end, I decided on a pair of Simms in a double custom (custom foot and length). The salesman was going to get back to me to after finding out how long they would take to get in, and he never did.

I took this as a "sign," as I discovered a couple of days later that the ladies "long" Reddington Chena River waders are actually an inch longer than the custom long Simms (and less than half the price) . . . so I bought a pair at a local shop in a size large long. After wearing them a few times, I decided that my Reddington's are quite a bit too short.

Anyone know what the longest ladies waders on the market are (and hopefully where to find them)? I do not care about price at all at this point. I would give my first born for a pair of waders that fit (but not my second born: he's still really cute and isn't talking back yet). :crybaby:

I know two women with patagonia waders and they both rave about them, one of those two ladies are 5'9" so maybe that's an option ?

Thanks :) I phoned Patagonia and I got a really weird answer as to the length of their long ladies waders: 37" to the toe-seam.?? I'll have to measure my Reddingtons and see what they are to the toe seam so I can compare the length.

I also phoned Orvis, and it sounds like they might be the longest. They claim their long waders will fit ladies up to 6', but they also say that the inseam is only 32-33".

I am generally pretty unimpressed with the whole production, and I'm considering converting my Reddingtons to hip waders with a pair of scissors and some velcro.

Thanks :) I phoned Patagonia and I got a really weird answer as to the length of their long ladies waders: 37" to the toe-seam.?? I'll have to measure my Reddingtons and see what they are to the toe seam so I can compare the length.

I also phoned Orvis, and it sounds like they might be the longest. They claim their long waders will fit ladies up to 6', but they also say that the inseam is only 32-33".

I am generally pretty unimpressed with the whole production, and I'm considering converting my Reddingtons to hip waders with a pair of scissors and some velcro.

My wife wears the Orvis waders (http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0G2X&dir_id=758&cat_id=5599), she's about 5'9". If you would like to try em out for a day....I'm sure she would have no problem with it.

Craig

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/includes/p..._CHARTS_HANDLER

Should help you out although it looks like the biggest waders they have for ladies has a 33" inseam...

There is a lot of discrepancy in how companies measure the inseam. Reddington measures the inseam from the crotch to the floor/bottom of the foot. I'm not sure where Patagoina's measurement is to, as I was given that weird "toe seam" measurement.

i have the opposite problem.

i`m 5 ft 3 +. my inseam is 30 inches. and i have a size 6 womens. neoprenes are fine, the foot is a little big but my hodgemans are ok.

for the life of me i cannot find breathables that arent 5 inches too long in the inseam and the crotch is hanging at my knees.

i think all of the major lines need to go into their offices, pull out 20 women and measure them. maybe they will figure out that women are shaped differently than men.

I say go with the pair that fit the best even if they're a mens version. I'm a guy and got Simms G3 womens in a large. I had to get em, they fit perfectly and we're half price because they we're in the shop for over a year. My girl friend is small and also wears Simms but in a mens because they fit her perfectly. Fit is so important in any athletic clothing, especially when your shelling out big bucks.

Shelly,

Deb just ordered and received a pair of Patagonia's online as they are currently on sale for a killer deal - $180 (they will no longer be making women's waders)! With shipping/exchange it worked out to be just about $200 -which is not that bad (just make sure you have them send it USPS). The only thing is I don't think they have your size, but call them as the Reno location can try and find you a pair at one of the retail stores (they always hold back stock for their online orders is what they told me). Inseam is pretty accurate (just measure from "crotch" to the floor not toe), but be VERY careful of the foot sizing... The 6 - 8 foot size is a 7! In your size, I don't think you have to worry about that as it is only with the sm & med size. Deb had to go with a M/L to get the proper foot size and even though they are about an inch too long for her, she can move quite freely (even though she isn't of large stature - but has longer legs then I thought - almost the same inseam as me, she's about a 31 and I'm about a 32 even though she's 5'6"ish and I'm 5'10")....

If you have any questions about the Patagonia's specifically, PM me.

P

There is a lot of discrepancy in how companies measure the inseam. Reddington measures the inseam from the crotch to the floor/bottom of the foot. I'm not sure where Patagoina's measurement is to, as I was given that weird "toe seam" measurement.

I doubt this'll make you feel better, but it's not like the situation is any better for men. The vast majority of customers I've had came to realize that they would have to settle for "close enough". Waders come in about a dozen different sizes, how many different shapes and sizes do people come in?

Well, I've got a pair of waders on order.

In the end, the winner was Wright & McGill.

Their "Fly Girl" (dumb name . . . why do companies do that?) waders come in "Tall" with a 36" inseam.

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/guidewear/fly...mens-waders.php

The gent I spoke to was very helpful, and answered all of my questions. It helped that his wife is very tall (over 6'), and she comfortably wears the Fly Girl waders in a Tall. I'm a little worried that they might be a little too long, but I can work with that. The waders have a couple of nice non-standard features: removable shoulder straps and a bit of a back support system. There is no additional charge for the tall sizes, either.

The only downside is the $50 flat rate shipping to Canada. :eek:

I wasn't really looking for shorter inseams while I was doing all of this research, but Simms does make "short" ladies waders with an inseam of 28"-29". The claim that the "short" waders fit ladies who are 5'1" to 5'3" tall.

Not all of the Simms "short" waders are custom orders. The Medium-Short (8-9 Foot), Large-Short (9-10 Foot), and XL-Short (9-10 Foot) do not incur a custom charge. To get the 6-7 foot in a short there will be a custom charge: either for the length of the wader (Small-Short) or for a change in foot size (Medium-Short or bigger waders, with a smaller foot). The folks at Simms have always been very helpful in the three phone calls I've made directly to them. Here are the details on what is available through the Custom Shop program: http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/custom_shop.html

Orvis also has waders for "Petite" (a much nicer way to put it) ladies. They claim their petite sizes fit 5' to 5'4" tall. I had no luck in my two phone calls with Orvis. I never did get the info I was looking for from them (where the "to" and "from" is for the inseam measurement), and I never did get the return phone calls that were promised.

I hope they sent them via USPS or you'll also be dinged for brokerage, duty & GST!! But if you got what you wanted then I guess my point is moot!

P

The only downside is the $50 flat rate shipping to Canada. :eek:

I hope they sent them via USPS or you'll also be dinged for brokerage, duty & GST!! But if you got what you wanted then I guess my point is moot!

I believe it is USPS.

I've got one of those UPS invoices sitting on my kitchen table right now, and did I get nailed on that one!

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it is USPS.

I've got one of those UPS invoices sitting on my kitchen table right now, and did I get nailed on that one!

Whoops. It was UPS.

The gentleman who shipped the waders has said he will not use UPS to ship to Canada again (despite the fact that it is much easier for him). He was blown away when I told him what the brokerage fee was.

The waders arrived yesterday . . . and after putting them on I did a little happy dance around the house!!! :)

I ordered the Large-Tall.

They have a 9-10 foot, and I have a size 10 foot. The fit of the foot is really nice on me. There is room for some really toasty socks in there, and I don't think I'll get much (if any) bunchiness without thick socks. I have a high instep, and I easily got my feet into the feet of the waders. Instead of elastic on the gravel guards they've used straps/belts. Very nice! These are much easier to get down over the tops of my boots. The 36" inseam is just about perfect on me. I've got great mobility in them, and I can get my heavy fleece pants and a winter jacket underneath them. There is really good attention to detail: the wading belt (with back support) is nice and thick, and the shoulder straps have cushy pads on them to stop them from digging in.

The only thing I'm not really excited about is that they don't have as flattering a shape as my Reddington Chena River waders. I figure that is a pretty small price to pay, however.

I figure I'll convert my Reddington waders into hip waders for the warm days: chop the legs off, hem the tops of the legs, and attach some strapping and velcro or buckles.