Fly Fusion Forums

Would Like To Thank The Oil Industry For Doing Such Great Work

FYI also....I heard on the news today that BP is "seriously considering" using Kevin Costner's centrifuge machine (that he personally invested over $20 million dollars in and that has been proven to work) to clean up the mess. Call him a quack or whatever...but sounds like he's got something viable that might save some bacon.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what BP's shares are trading at this morning - going down faster than a whore's pants on payday - but if you believe that a company is going to survive losing over 15 billion in market cap and running close to a billion to cap this thing and haven't met with success - I've got a well in the Gulf of Mexico I know you can invest in. I think this sinks BP....and rightly so. I hope they're used as an example and something good comes of this. For all the damage and tragedy, something significant has to come of it - laws, fines, restrictions...everything. Obama is gonna be in the hot seat for a few years over this one.

Edit: Ya...15 billion is what they lost today....total market cap loss is $63 billion so far. Ouch. I can't even fathom what the lawsuits and relief wells and cleanup and fines are gonna total.

So...either BP is a good investment right now or it's done for. I wish I had a market sixth sense...because if I did I would have bought TCPL at $3.00 a share when everyone thought they were tanking and I wouldn't be typing this from my private island that I could now afford.

A discussion of BP's liability. I'm no legal guy, but it appears it is essentially unlimited:

BP Liability

In my opinion they shouldn't be even considered for a cap. If your going to take risks in the name of huge profit's then you should have to pay the huge penalties if it blow up in your face. No one made B.P. drill out there and the clean up should be on them, not the government or anybody else. If it bankrupts them, then it's there own fault!

I think, by comparing the two situations(Niger Delta and the Gulf) that any entity that is engaged in any kind of development on public/crown or commonly-owned property is only as responsible as regulations make them.

"Deregulation" can take many forms and in many cases is justifiable in order to make the existing, sometimes convoluted/contradictory regulations more clear and workable. However, when regulations are downgraded to make developers less responsible, then whistles should blow and lights should flash.

j

Don't forget the corruption of politicians/governments!! All gov'ts & politicians are corrupt (goes with the territory) but to varying extents/degrees! I'm sure one of the reasons why we haven't heard anything about the devastation in the Niger Delta (and even in Saudi) is b/c the oil companies pay the gov't officials off!! Couldn't get away with that (in the case of "the Gulf") in the USA!

P

I think, by comparing the two situations(Niger Delta and the Gulf) that any entity that is engaged in any kind of development on public/crown or commonly-owned property is only as responsible as regulations make them.

"Deregulation" can take many forms and in many cases is justifiable in order to make the existing, sometimes convoluted/contradictory regulations more clear and workable. However, when regulations are downgraded to make developers less responsible, then whistles should blow and lights should flash.

j