Fly Fusion Forums

Would Like To Thank The Oil Industry For Doing Such Great Work

Jack,

They don't operate during a hurricane. Shut 'em in, pull the marine riser and move off location. Or so I assume.

Ricinus,

Excellent question. Lets start with the gulf. It's been being drilled in for what, 50 yrs. As it is my backyard, I think I have a vested interest in it. But that ship has sailed. While many hate the thought of any rig in any water, the truth is the industry has done a pretty good job in the GOM. So I personally think any drilling moratorium in the gulf makes no sense.

As far as around here, I have no fear of the rigs from the drilling and producing standpoint in sensitive areas. Whether people believe it or not, the footprints these days are very small. My concern would lie more in the roads and other infrastructure, just the general increase in activity. Some places should be left alone.

The trick is, which areas? While I completely agree there are areas that should be off limits, there are many who believe that we shouldn't drill anywhere, and those who believe we should drill everywhere. Most of us lie somewhere between those extremes. We need the oil, but we also need to protect the environment. Just like most things in life, it's all a balancing act. And no matter what your position is, most everyone will disagree with you with some thinking you are a tree hugger and others thinking you are a planet raping bastard.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty cool video, though not a blow-out, they're taking a "kick" which basically is like plunging a toilet, only in reverse. The formation fluid gets vacuumed into the wellbore, which temporarily causes the formation pressure to overcome the hydrostatic pressure. So the well burps up. I saw a derrickhand get burned doing a trip like the one in the video. Don't smoke on the monkeyboard. I was on a rig that blewout, I wasn't too afraid, though I passed a lot of guys that were. They managed to put out the fire and everyone was okay.

Hard to say.. Could have gotten a hell of alot worse after that one. Looked like it unloaded alot of fluid. Done a good number of jobs off drilling rigs, familiar with hydrostatics in both open and cased hole. Don't miss cementing one bit actually.. Was on a well (cased) that the crew had 7 MPA on the plug I just set for a pressure test, hold for 15, when the driller opened the blind rams without the well being bled off. Shot a 5 1/2 wide (casing size) geyser of fluid over the crown of the service rig. Amazing what pressure will do.. even a couple thousand KPA will blow the lubricator right off a wellhead if opened up to without proper equalization.

Its extremely clear that most people on this board (actually in this entire city) work in oil and gas. You all rush to defend BP like your lives (*cough* jobs) depend on it.

Of course this isn't intentional, the original post and its link (not that you would bother reading that) never claimed that. However, BP, like every other oil company doesn't do a very good job preventing these disasters - but whats to expected - when your in the industry of exploiting natural resources, profit is always number one.

Although I do agree with you all. If we can save a couple cents a year because of poor safety standards and accident prevention measure, so be it. After all its not like we'll ever visit, fish, our tour where this oil spill happened.

Rick, you mention fishing has been good despite offshore drilling - do you think it will be good after this disaster?

Guest Sundancefisher
Jack,

They don't operate during a hurricane. Shut 'em in, pull the marine riser and move off location. Or so I assume.

Ricinus,

Excellent question. Lets start with the gulf. It's been being drilled in for what, 50 yrs. As it is my backyard, I think I have a vested interest in it. But that ship has sailed. While many hate the thought of any rig in any water, the truth is the industry has done a pretty good job in the GOM. So I personally think any drilling moratorium in the gulf makes no sense.

As far as around here, I have no fear of the rigs from the drilling and producing standpoint in sensitive areas. Whether people believe it or not, the footprints these days are very small. My concern would lie more in the roads and other infrastructure, just the general increase in activity. Some places should be left alone.

The trick is, which areas? While I completely agree there are areas that should be off limits, there are many who believe that we shouldn't drill anywhere, and those who believe we should drill everywhere. Most of us lie somewhere between those extremes. We need the oil, but we also need to protect the environment. Just like most things in life, it's all a balancing act. And no matter what your position is, most everyone will disagree with you with some thinking you are a tree hugger and others thinking you are a planet raping bastard.

X2...now let's start bashing coal mines...we beat this enough

Its extremely clear that most people on this board (actually in this entire city) work in oil and gas. You all rush to defend BP like your lives (*cough* jobs) depend on it.

Of course this isn't intentional, the original post and its link (not that you would bother reading that) never claimed that. However, BP, like every other oil company doesn't do a very good job preventing these disasters - but whats to expected - when your in the industry of exploiting natural resources, profit is always number one.

Although I do agree with you all. If we can save a couple cents a year because of poor safety standards and accident prevention measure, so be it. After all its not like we'll ever visit, fish, our tour where this oil spill happened.

Rick, you mention fishing has been good despite offshore drilling - do you think it will be good after this disaster?

All of the comments towards British Petroleum have been negative so far. We are talking about the Oil & Gas industry in general. I find it so humorous when people stand out outside the glass and look in. There is so much safety in the oilfield that it is to the point that it's dangerous. We repeat safety meetings over and over again, we review/preview/access JSA'S tell our eye's are red. What ends up happening after awhile is it falls on deaf ear's. The millions upon millions of dollars that go into programs like JSA'S, safety meeting, safety stand downs and mandatory course's could support a small city. The reality is, it's not the oilfield companies that cause these issues, (god only knows they have enough rules and regulations in place) it's the people working for them.

You can tell someone what not to do, you can show them the right way and you can explain the consequence's. But some will turn around and do everything you showed them not to do, does that make it your fault.

Oil & Gas in drive by the money machine, no one can deny that. But is MAKING MONEY not the point of having a business in the first place. (don't be pissy because there good at it) Don't get me wrong I personally feel that the industry has a long way to go in terms of the environmental end of things (no offense Ricker, but especially in the States) and I feel that when accidents do happen they need to spend more time and effort to remedy the situation. But like I said previously the industry is making leaps and bounds in the right direction.

I also find it so funny how people target the oilfield over other industries. A prime example would be mining in Bistrol Bay vs. drilling on the North slope. (which one got more publicity/ which one is going to cause more damage).

I also find it so funny how people target the oilfield over other industries. A prime example would be mining in Bistrol Bay vs. drilling on the North slope. (which one got more publicity/ which one is going to cause more damage).

More damaging to what and who? I think the Pebble Bay stuff is getting alot of press (PB Gold is starting to cause the same reaction as blood diamonds... in theory so far anyways) and I think the proposed drilling in ANWR deserved more press. Prudoe Bay is a dirty $hit hole and the threat of that happening to ANWR makes me cry. The linear disturbance, smog from flaring and trucks, garbage from people, and disruption to wildlife and waterfowl is mind blowing. But I've only seen it through the eyes of a envi consultant... maybe looking at it through an oilman's eyes is different.

Sorry, back to the topic... oilspill really sux! Exon Valdez impacts are still present under overturned rocks... same with Wabamun.

There is no cleaning it up.

The industry is there and won't go away... what to do to prevent it again and how to protect sensitive areas at risk: that should be the focus now.

BTW Did you know that bait fishermen cause irreparable harm to the environment in Alberta forests?

<--poke--<

Guest Sundancefisher
All of the comments towards British Petroleum have been negative so far. We are talking about the Oil & Gas industry in general. I find it so humorous when people stand out outside the glass and look in. There is so much safety in the oilfield that it is to the point that it's dangerous. We repeat safety meetings over and over again, we review/preview/access JSA'S tell our eye's are red. What ends up happening after awhile is it falls on deaf ear's. The millions upon millions of dollars that go into programs like JSA'S, safety meeting, safety stand downs and mandatory course's could support a small city. The reality is, it's not the oilfield companies that cause these issues, (god only knows they have enough rules and regulations in place) it's the people working for them.

You can tell someone what not to do, you can show them the right way and you can explain the consequence's. But some will turn around and do everything you showed them not to do, does that make it your fault.

Oil & Gas in drive by the money machine, no one can deny that. But is MAKING MONEY not the point of having a business in the first place. (don't be pissy because there good at it) Don't get me wrong I personally feel that the industry has a long way to go in terms of the environmental end of things (no offense Ricker, but especially in the States) and I feel that when accidents do happen they need to spend more time and effort to remedy the situation. But like I said previously the industry is making leaps and bounds in the right direction.

X2.

Fact is everyone hates when these things happen regardless of what "side" you are on. It is bad for families seeing people die...it is bad for the environment...and yes...it is bad for the companies bottom line. There is no good in this and companies don't want it so why do some people seem to think this is on purpose? Sometimes you can plan for nothing wrong happening and it just does. Happens to people driving every day. You have hundreds of planners, hundreds of on the rig guys working harder than 99.9% of us...all supposedly paying attention to safety...and then something is done wrong and an unfortunate tide of wrong things happening string together to make a disaster. Or mother nature throws a curve ball and catches everyone off guard. Or somehow equipment was made slightly wrong and causes a glitch. I am sure we will find out the cause at some point and rest assured...

Not a single member on this site wanted this to happen. Not a single employee in the oil patch wanted to see this happen. Not a single employee whether that is a workerbee or manager or VP or President wanted this to happen. Nobody is condoning anything nor laying intentional blame. I think we all can agree to that can't we?

People did not get to the technology level we are at today without taking way worse risks. That is what life is all about. Taking risks and some take bigger risks than others. Out of the millions and millions of man hours in the last year...this is the worst to date. But hopefully we will learn not to make the same mistake.

Bashing an industry is just fun for some. For a while the bashing was all about profits. Now we just seem to sit and wait to jump on the oil patch cause it has just been a while...and hey...blaming something just takes the pressure off of ones self so one does not need to reflect on how they can be a better person. Live and learn...that should be the simple model to follow maybe.

I just sincerely pray for the poor kids that lost a dad.

Guest Sundancefisher

Government just announced a moratorium on new drilling until they know what happened. I also suspect the problems with fixing this horrible mess will also come with new regulations.

All gulf explorers are now feeling this pain.

Yes. Easiest question so far.

I work in the industry and have for years, some of my jobs have been in safety related roles. I know how much thought and work goes into trying to keep the environment and people safe, and am proud of efforts I have made in that area. I am not defending BP or Transocean. I have on idea what happened yet, nor does anybody else. But we will eventually know and take steps to correct it. To have people, who usually have no knowledge to make utterly inflammatory statements like "However, BP, like every other oil company doesn't do a very good job preventing these disaster" gets under my skin a bit (not picking on you fisher, but your comment neatly sums up the prevailing sentiment of some on this thread). This is the first accident of it's kind in the GOM. Thousands and thousands of wells. Where is the "doesn't do a very good job" part?

And my "cough" job doesn't depend on the outcome of the BP investigation at all. Or this industry, for that matter. I've changed jobs before, and I may change them again. If I truly thought that the industry I worked in was all about raping the planet, I'd quit. But they aren't, whether those of you in the glass houses want to believe it or not.

You don't by any chance think you could loan me your crystal ball ?

Fair enough. But whatever happens, the area will recover. It's not the fish you have to worry about, or worry about the most. It's the birds and surface wildlife.

The estuaries (which is essentially the entire Louisiana coast) will likely suffer the brunt of the damage. And I am not blind to the the potential damage here. I would imagine that since I've been on much of the coast that is threatened by all of this, I feel the impending disaster more than many. It makes me literally sick to think of what may happen to the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida coasts.

But I also realize that to just stop all drilling isn't a realistic outcome. Nor will I drape myself in righteous indignation (and that would be true no matter what industry I worked in). Regardless of my chosen profession, I am as much a participant in our thirst for oil as anyone else. I marvel at those who find it convenient to ignore that fact.

A tragedy like this makes the oil sands oil look pretty clean.

Fair enough. But whatever happens, the area will recover.

C'mon now rickr, that could be said about any disaster, natural or man made. Yes "eventually" it will recover. Flimsy statement of the year award contestant.

Bad choice of words. Thanks for pointing that out. You're good at that.

Looks like it is shaping up to be the biggest oil spill ever and you say the area will eventually recover?

It came across that you think it is no big deal with a statement like that! You are one of the main proponents of the O&G industry when topics such as this come up, so what did you expect?

Looks like it is shaping up to be the biggest oil spill ever and you say the area will eventually recover?

It came across that you think it is no big deal with a statement like that! You are one of the main proponents of the O&G industry when topics such as this come up, so what did you expect?

Ok, let me say this clearly. I recognize the potential here. This could be the most devastating oil disaster in the history of the US. I was making no attempt to belittle the event itself. If that came across, I apologize.

Guest Sundancefisher
Ok, let me say this clearly. I recognize the potential here. This could be the most devastating oil disaster in the history of the US. I was making no attempt to belittle the event itself. If that came across, I apologize.

I really hope they are mobilizing absolutely everything they can. From oil eating bacteria to deep sea divers and back up rigs if needed.

I also hope nobody has shares in Lloyd's of London. Also...you know our car insurance is going up to pay for this. There is always a spin off of costs to the consumers.

The more they talk about this the scarier it becomes in terms of size and scope of a disaster. Firstly...they need to fix it. Then their will be an inquiry about how it happened. Secondly there will be an inquiry as to what was done to fix it after the fact. Any perceived delays...and I am sure heads will roll.

Guest Sundancefisher

"According to the American Bar Association, there were 1,128,729 resident and active attorneys in the United States in 2006 and 1,143,358 in 2007. A small percentage of the increase (actual number 352) is due to American Somoa and Guam being added to the survey in 2007" Wiki

There are more lawyers in the US in 2007 that total population of these countries currently(wiki). If lawyers are so smart...why don't they swarm the Bahamas and take it over?

East Timor 1,134,000

Djibouti 864,000

Fiji 849,000

Cyprus n14 801,851

Bahrain 791,000

Guyana 762,000

Bhutan 697,000

Comoros n15 676,000

Equatorial Guinea [5] 676,000

Montenegro 624,000

Macau 542,200

Solomon Islands 523,000

Suriname 520,000

Western Sahara 513,000

Cape Verde 506,000

Luxembourg 502,207

Malta 416,333

Brunei 400,000

Bahamas 342,000

Belize 322,100

Iceland 317,900

Maldives 309,000

Barbados 256,000

Vanuatu 240,000

Netherlands Antilles 198,000

Samoa 179,000

Guam 178,000

Saint Lucia 172,000

São Tomé and Príncipe 163,000

Federated States of Micronesia 111,000

U.S. Virgin Islands 110,000

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 109,000

Aruba 107,000

Grenada 104,000

Tonga 104,000

Kiribati 98,000

Jersey 90,050

Antigua and Barbuda 88,000

Northern Mariana Islands 87,000

Andorra 84,082

Seychelles 84,000

Isle of Man 80,000

Dominica 67,000

American Samoa 67,000

Bermuda 65,000

Marshall Islands 62,000

Guernsey 61,811

Greenland 57,000

Cayman Islands 56,000

Saint Kitts and Nevis 52,000

Faroe Islands 48,703

Liechtenstein 35,904

Monaco 33,000

Turks and Caicos Islands 33,000

San Marino 32,386

Gibraltar 31,000

British Virgin Islands 23,000

Cook Islands 20,000

Palau 20,000

Anguilla 15,000

Tuvalu 10,000

Nauru 10,000

Montserrat 5,900

Saint Helena n16 4,500

Falkland Islands 3,000

Niue 1,500

Tokelau 1,200

Vatican City 800

Pitcairn Islands 50

U.S. oil spill could hit Atlantic tuna

Last Updated: Monday, May 3, 2010 | 10:43 AM ET Comments65Recommend49CBC News

Tuna bring in big money for some fishermen in the Maritimes. (CBC)

The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico could have a serious long-term impact on tuna stocks off Atlantic Canada.

The Gulf is the spawning ground for bluefin tuna that migrate to the Atlantic region.

"Many fish are going down to the Gulf to spawn," said Jackie Savitz, a marine biologist with Oceana, an international conservation group based in Washington.

"The larvae of the fish is actually the most sensitive life stage to the toxic effects of oil. And one fish that's spawning right now down there is the bluefin tuna."

There is already concern for the health of the Atlantic bluefin tuna population. It has fallen 90 per cent since the 1970s, and the World Wildlife Fund says the species faces a serious risk of extinction. Stocks in the western Atlantic are in better shape than in the east, and the oil spill strikes at an economically important fishery in Atlantic Canada.

P.O.V.:

Offshore oil: Should we be drilling offshore?

"It's definitely going to have some effect on the spawning mass and the juveniles," said Walter Bruce, chair of the P.E.I. Tuna Working Group.

"The bigger fish, the giants as we call them, most of them I would think, are out of that area by now and on their way this way. So it may not affect the next few years … but 10 years down the road we could see a big decline in the catch."

Oyster fishers could benefit

The spill has also shut down one of the largest oyster fisheries in the U.S., which could bring a sales boost for other oyster producers.

While Rory McLellan of the P.E.I. Shellfish Association takes no joy in it, he expects the closure of the fishery in the Gulf of Mexico will mean higher prices for oysters coming out of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

"While the animal is not exactly the same as ours, some of the markets are the same," said McLellan. "If, God forbid, they're not able to save that shoreline, it should increase demand for oysters coming in from Canada."

The oil spill began April 20 after a drill rig exploded off the coast of Louisiana. Officials estimate it is spilling nearly 5,000 barrels a day, and it could be months before the flow is

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05...l#ixzz0mt3GpMkF