Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Purchase A New Set Up

I am looking at purchasing a new set up and not sure what the best way to go about it really is. The last time i purchased a new set up(low end) I just went to Wholesale and purchased what the salesman recommended and never even tested it out before I bought. I have read a lot of content on this forum that states you should cast before you buy. So the question is what is the process? Do you cast the rod in the parking lot, do they let you take it to the river for a day? Also how do you purchase the correct line for the rod type and casting style without purchasing a bunch of lines.

I would like to purchase a better setup then before and will be spending more money on this setup then the past so I would like to do it right.

m

I am looking at purchasing a new set up and not sure what the best way to go about it really is. The last time i purchased a new set up(low end) I just went to Wholesale and purchased what the salesman recommended and never even tested it out before I bought. I have read a lot of content on this forum that states you should cast before you buy. So the question is what is the process? Do you cast the rod in the parking lot, do they let you take it to the river for a day? Also how do you purchase the correct line for the rod type and casting style without purchasing a bunch of lines.

I would like to purchase a better setup then before and will be spending more money on this setup then the past so I would like to do it right.

m

I would strongly recommend you head to either Fish Tales or Bow River Troutfitters in Calgary. They have qualified people who can fit you with the appropriate equipment to get more enjoyment out of fly fishing. It may be a good idea to ask about the various fly fishing classes the offer.

I would agree with cardinalfan that if you take a beginner course, you can test out some different set ups and the instructor can help point you into the general direction that is best for you (fast action, medium action, etc.). Then, the good local fly shops will take the time and cast a range of different setups in your style, often picking ones at different price points, etc.. Then, whatever feels the best and works the best you should go with. Its a heck of a lot better than buying something without testing it first. This is THE tool you use in fly fishing and it is very important to get the one that is best for you...just remember, it doesn't have to be the most expensive or the best name!

tip - know what you are going to do with the new rig. have some idea in your mind as to what your casting style is and what kind of water you will be using it on as well as your budget. no point looking at a $500 rod and a $250 reel if your budget is $200 for both.

go to one of the local shops and try as many out as you can.

Above all, remember that fly fishing is recreation, if the rod you are casting feels like work, put it back on the rack. Pick out rods in your budget range, ignore the "brand", line them up and cast them all. Pick the one that "fits" you.

j

Go see Mikey at Southbow,they have an area of grass beside the store.Remember to bring the rods that you own already so you can compare.

I will second the recommendation for Southbow, they also have demo rods you can sign out for a day or two on the river to see how they fish.

tip - know what you are going to do with the new rig. have some idea in your mind as to what your casting style is and what kind of water you will be using it on as well as your budget. no point looking at a $500 rod and a $250 reel if your budget is $200 for both.

go to one of the local shops and try as many out as you can.

very good advice here, and dont get caught up with the extras - rod, reel, boots, waders - essentials, spend good money on these...

i would also reccomend Fish Tales, i was only looking at 120$ "entry level" fly rods, but Dave spent a lot of time making sure i ended up happy, good hunting!