Fly Fusion Forums

Drought?

Didn't we go through this last year? I know it was a bit later in the year, but we had very little run off and high temps. Lots of people very worried that we were going to have very high water temps in the summer. And it never materialized as we had a reasonably mild summer (or at least I think we did, memory isn't what it once was) and water temps never really got that high after some higher temps early season.

So while I agree this doesn't look good, lots of time for it to self correct. All that said, a nice really really we spring, with lots of spring snow in the mountains, would sure be welcome.

Rick, did you forget about late july early august when the river was over 70 degrees. Catching fish at those temps is a death sentence. We need a runoff.

It was July wasn't it (no I didn't forget, I said there were some high temps early season)? And fairly localized, if my fading memory serves--not the Bow but Central Alberta?? And people rightly recommended not to fish at those temps. But it did not last, and was certainly not widespread. Not saying there is not potential this year, cuz there certainly is. But summer is a ways away yet.

But as I said, yeah, rain/snow/runoff would be fantastic. Not just for water temps, I also shudder to think what the weeds would be like this summer after two years of crap runoff. And what does runoff or lack thereof do for didymo? Pipestone saw a bunch yesterday I think.That and I love to fish during runoff!

And can anyone refresh my memory.... What was the reason for the poor runoff last year? I thought the snow pack was near average (again, old man memory disease).

As to dry winter indicating a dry spring? I have no idea, but I think it's like investing isn't it? Past performance is not indicative of future returns. And while it is not hard to see that everything is currently pretty damn low, may want to wait a bit before sounding the alarm. Particularly since there isn't a damn thing we can do about it, except not fish when/if it gets too hot.

Last years snowpack was slightly below average at best. What kept the rivers up (south) and cool was periodic rain and cooler temperatures. I think it was a very dry year for north of Calgary.

With a low snowpack we rely on rainfall through the summer and springs (which may not recharge without a decent snow pack and rain of years past). The odds are if we have no snow it will be a low water year, and dam managers will manage the river flows like that.

Expect water to be held in reservoir, poor/coarse flow adjustments, peaks at the wrong time of year, etc, etc.

Not good news for the mountain rivers either. Another concern, is, if our rivers are going to experience a water shortage, I can't imagine what will happen south of the border, if they have a very dry, hot summer. Expect to see a lot of Washington, Idaho, Montana fishermen in southern Alberta this summer.

Last year was weird, low temps and no rain duriing runoff and then regular rain throughout the summer along the front range, especially down the southern way. I know the locals in the "Pass" were complaining for the most part over the summer because of the low temps and rain. Plus according to my thermometer the water temps were pretty low for most of the summer too. But the weather is pretty localized in this part of the world, like most of the rest. And last year east and central Alberta were dry and hot, and so this year the east part has had some heavy precip, but us and the central part are bone dry. The June monsoon season is yet to come, and then maybe we just don't know what is going to happen.

But as I said, yeah, rain/snow/runoff would be fantastic. Not just for water temps, I also shudder to think what the weeds would be like this summer after two years of crap runoff. And what does runoff or lack thereof do for didymo? Pipestone saw a bunch yesterday I think.That and I love to fish during runoff!

And can anyone refresh my memory.... What was the reason for the poor runoff last year? I thought the snow pack was near average (again, old man memory disease).

The weeds and didymo will probably be quite bad if we don't get runoff again and the water temps are warm with low flows. I recall walking the banks in Fish Creek park last August and seeing some of the slower water that had always been reliable for risers completely choked with weeds. I'd hate to see that two years in a row.

I don't recall for sure why there was no runoff last year. Could have been water held back at the dams or that we had a very gradual rise in temps resulting in the snow melting at a slow but steady pace. I think the snow pack was a bit below average last year in comparison to this year where they're saying it's much below average.

Maybe for once the province could show some initiative and be pre-emptive rather than reactive. Start rationing water a bit now instead of a lot later on. From the Herald article I linked in the first post:

The drought conditions, if they don't improve, could easily force municipalities and irrigation districts to enforce water restrictions on homeowners, golf courses, farmers and businesses, she said.

Personally, I think golf courses should be at the top of the list, followed by anyone who just wants to water their lawns.

Personally, I think golf courses should be at the top of the list, followed by anyone who just wants to water their lawns.

I'd second this as the amount of water that some courses use is obscene but unfortunately I'd bet that golf courses make a crap load more money for the city than anglers do, and don't get me started on people who insist on watering sidewalks. Our city seems to revolve around money instead of doing what's right most of the time.... :derby racer:

Well according to the forecast Calgary and south is in for a few days of rain so that will help in the immediate future anyway. This is currently the tail end of El Nino which if it continued into summer would spell more hot dry periods ahead. Time will tell.

Last summer my 4 weeks of fishing vacation around southern Ab had way too many cool showery days and overnight downpours. A half decent summer would be kinda nice.

• 2 weeks later...
i'd be happy with a little drought any day now. it can rain all it wants at night as long as the temp stays about 10 during the day and the sun comes out

I second that! however I need one hot day so I can mow my lawn before I start to lose my kids in it! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I was down in the Crowsnest area at the end of April and overheard an older gentleman complaining about how warm and dry it was, he really wished it would cool down and that they would get some moisture. All I could think of the time was the old adage, "Be careful what you wish for, because it might come true."

• 3 weeks later...