Fly Fusion Forums

Ever Have Your Line Depart From Backing?

It sort of happened to me many years ago. I was out fishing on Maligne Lake with my wife and two sons, the youngest being about 4 or 5 at the time (he's 35 now). The two little guys were sitting in the back seat of the boat, mom in the front, and of course dad manned the oars. The youngest son was using one of my fly rods as we trolled around the lake. He was letting the line out and as I'm rowing along I hear "Daaaaad." I looked up to see my full sink line all laid out in a straight line, headed for the bottom. To this day, I don't know how the nail knot came undone, but I guess it was better it happened this way, rather than with a fish on the end. Moral of the story -- check all those knots.

"It would be funny to see" Uhh, no. Learned how to tie a proper nailknot after a 14" rainbow turned into a 24" loon on the end of my line. Brand spanking new 444 peach WF5F line. :(

j

Heard lots of stories on people finding fly lines on the Campbell River in BC. All starts with a guy using his 6 wt catching pinks and ends when he hooks up with a Chinook and says "I think I can get him in". Almost as bad as when you say, "Here, hold my beer...watch this"

I actually had that happen to me on the Bow last summer. I got out pretty early one morning and and caught two or three fish on a size 8 stimulator, with a prince dropper. Had a few on too that got off, most of the fish were after the dry, but then I watched the dry go down and fish on. It took line ripped out into the middle of the river and all I could do was hold on. I managed to get some line back and then the fish came back toward the shore downstream from me so I was reeling in more line and walking downstream, I caught a glimpse of a huge tail, brown trout, and off into the middle of river again. I usually horse them in pretty hard but this fish was really strong and he got into my backing. I fought him a bit longer and then my rod just straightened out suddenly, and I thought that it broke off. But as I reeled in my backing there was no flyline on it. I was going to replace it at the end of the summer, and it broke off with just a 16th of an inch of the flyline still attached. The knot didn't break, the flyline did. All I can think is that the backing must have cut into the line and weakened it enough so it broke under the strain. Oh well that's fishing.

First I would actually have to be able to cast to my backing, and second, I think a fish has only taken me there once, the 12" stockers in this province just cant seem to take out line the way I would like. Guess I need to start fishing the Bow.

............ I think a fish has only taken me there once, the 12" stockers in this province just cant seem to take out line the way I would like. .........

Guess that's why we have BC next door. :lol:

One time I was casting a 10" rabbit strip streamer with my 6ft 2wt. I became one with the motion & was really starting to fire it out there; didn't realize just how far I was shooting it until it was too late. The knot that held my backing to the reel broke & I watched my flyline + 100 yds of backing sail off into the depths of a remote river in Russia. Just then, the biggest Taimen I'd ever seen swam leisurely past me; could've sworn he was smiling...

Then, my wife elbowed me in the ribs, really hard, & said,"Why the heck are you swearing in your sleep, ya idjit!!!"

Sigh...

Does Dacron degrade after be soaked and stored over long periods of time... I mean how many of us dry our lines and our backing? Does backing rot?

P

Think I read somewhere that dacron is good for something like 10 years, but I'd imagine amount of use and under what conditions would probably factor in. 100 yards of backing is something like $10, so I'd rather replace mine every couple years than risk losing an $80 fly line.