Fly Fusion Forums

Leave Your Stuff In Your Car?

well, went down to flytyer's place to pick up my flies and then headed down to fish creek park. then to southland and then to glenmore. got out of the car, put on the waders, boots, vest and pack and go to grab my rod and ... yep, left it at home. so, just curious as to how many people leave their fishing gear in their cars 24x7 throughout the summer and how many have had their stuff ripped off. my stuff isn't expensive but just a huge PITA to replace it all so i haul it into my apt every time i get back.

so, how many keep their gear in the vehicles 24x7 and how many people have been jacked? does it depend on rural vs urban dwellings?

Always. Never know when you might drive over a sexy creek, right?

That's why I have a locking tonneau cover on my truck, and a good rod and reel case is of course essential. Haven't taken it out during the summer since I drove an hour to a pond and forgot my vest with all my tackle. Cussed like a drunken sailor, but at least I hadn't put on my waders and boots!

I leave most of my gear in the trunk. I keep a 4 piece in there. If I want to use a 2 piece I just bring it, as it doesn't fit away out of site. I don't keep my waders and boot in there though, and forgot to bring them on the last trip...

I don't normally leave my stuff in my vehicle. I like to pack up for every trip as my needs are different for equipment depending on the area I fish. Large rivers, small streams or lakes. The one time I left my stuff in my van (on a business trip to Edmonton) it was broken into. Lost waders a couple of fly boxes and a precious bamboo fly rod. Be quite a while before I can scratch up enough shekels for a replacement, even a blank. My stuff was covered with an old blanket on the floor of my van.

You're better off not leaving the stuff in. There is much less respect for people and property now. More care must be taken. Just pack up and go.

Here's my rule for everything: if you can't afford to replace it, don't leave it where it can be taken.

We live in a city of over a million people. It isn't the Calgary of 10 years ago. Even for the convenience, I sure wouldn't pack my gear around.

I leave everything in the boot room - constantly switching between spey, one handed, shore, hiking, pontoon and belly boat set-up. hiking/shore kit goes with me everytime I leave town.

Be careful what you leave in your car at trailheads - alot of break-ins lately - especially at overnight spots such as Ohara and Skoki