Fly Fusion Forums

Click Pawl Vs. Disc

Conor

I'm hemming and hawing about a reel purchase. This reel will be mainly for the bow, with tippets from 6x to 3x.

Will a good click/pawl be able to cover light tippets but still be able to lean on 3x? What is the start up inertia like compared to a good disc drag?

I know you don't really need a high quality disc drag for trout, but you can run into some real screamers on the Bow from time to time, and I don't want to loose confidence in a big purchase.

FYI- some I am considering are the Able TR, Abel Big Game, CFO or Battenkill (disc or click; older UK reels), J Ryall (it is tough to pass up deal), Ross Gunnison...maybe some others. Open to ideas in similar style/price range, as well.

I'm with Don. I use a Hardy LRH Lightweight on my dry fly rod and a Marquis 7 on my nymph rod for the Bow. Never had trouble landing any fish on either. The LRH has no problem handling 3x when fishing hoppers or protecting 5x with a size 18 Adams. It's also never taken me more than a few minutes to land them so it isn't like you have to play them to the point of exhaustion on a click/pawl.

Conor,

I'm slowly switching my collection of disc drags to click pawls, Islander IRs specifically. I can't afford those Perfects that Don fishes.

As far as clickers not being able to handle large hot fish, look @ all the salmon caught on centrepin reels on the Wet Coast.

There was a period that I used disks and own a few still but have gone back to my Hardy Perfects and St. Georges etc.. I find Click Prawl protects leaders better. I love my little Islander IR2 (and you buy Canadian), slowed a 26"brown with shoulders last summer. Mind you I did grow up with clicks.

Click and Pawl for me!! I also learned to fish with Click and Pawl reels....I own several rather expensive disk drag reels which after several years of use, are now collecting dust, and the old Click and Pawl Hardy's have once again come out too play. I use my old Hardy Marquis all the time when salmon fishing on the west coast....They have never let me down.

The Marquis is a great reel, I have a large one and it is awesome.

Click and Pawl for me!! I also learned to fish with Click and Pawl reels....I also own several rather expensive disk drag reels which after sever years of use, are now collecting dust, and the old Click and Pawl Hardy's have once again come out too play. I use my old Hardy Marquis all the time when salmon fishing on the west coast....They have never let me down.

Wow. A big show from the click pawl crowd.

Good timing, too. A Princess just came up on Clark's for $150. Looks in good to very good shape. It is a pretty cool reel. Two screw line guard and LHW with a factory modification where the frame is removed from half the cage to allow for palming. Never heard of anything like it. Hopefully it will put my kids through college!