Fly Fusion Forums

Boaters License

search google

I was hoping one of you clones would do my heavy lifting..

I did google it and it looks like I need it, pure BS.

Well I am not going to get it, I would assume that whoever checks these things would have to;

1- Catch me with the boat actually running- Electric and silent so unlikely.

2- What are the odds of getting caught, who checks this anyhow, the feds?

When I googled it I found out I can rent a boat and I do not need a license. This makes perfect sense.. I can rent a house boat, but I need a license with my pontoon powered by an electric motor.

I think I will have my wife rent her pontoon to me..

I figured you for a pretty "stand up" and ethical guy!! Pffft! Yeah right!

I was hoping one of you clones would do my heavy lifting..

I did google it and it looks like I need it, pure BS.

Well I am not going to get it, I would assume that whoever checks these things would have to;

1- Catch me with the boat actually running- Electric and silent so unlikely.

2- What are the odds of getting caught, who checks this anyhow, the feds?

When I googled it I found out I can rent a boat and I do not need a license. This makes perfect sense.. I can rent a house boat, but I need a license with my pontoon powered by an electric motor.

I think I will have my wife rent her pontoon to me..

I figured you for a pretty "stand up" and ethical guy!! Pffft! Yeah right!

Why, because I am going to snub the law and take my toon out with an electric motor?

Call the cops!

Don't you see the hypocrisy in that I can rent a house boat without a license? Would that be ethical in your book.. Friggen hilarious Uberfly!

Oh ya- My youngest grandaughter has an inflatable jet ski (toy) with a battery and a propeller. I guess she needs the licence now too according to this flawed law! Where is that on your ethics scale, P?

65744383_tp.jpg

Relax dude!

Just dishing it out (like you do), hoping you can take it (like the rest of us) ;) LoL

P

Why, because I am going to snub the law and take my toon out with an electric motor?

Call the cops!

Don't you see the hyprocy in that I can rent a house boat without a license? Would that be ethical in your book.. Friggen hilarious Uberfly!

Oh ya- My youngest grandaughter has an inflatable jet ski (toy) with a battery and a propeller. I guess she needs the licence now too according to this flawed law! Where is that on your ethics scale, P?

65744383_tp.jpg

1st misspelling hypocrisy and now "Though" ("Thought")!

You're not at the top of your game tonight, are you?!

Must be all those ethical dilemmas confusing your brain, eh!!

LoL

P

It should be obvious by now that I cannot take it, only dish it. Though that went without explanation..

1st misspelling hypocrisy and now "Though" ("Thought")!

You're not at the top of your game tonight, are you?!

Must be all those ethical dilemmas confusing your brain, eh!!

LoL

P

Who needs spell checker when we've got you pro's as proof readers.

It was my understanding this law was primarly put into place for Sea-doo's as there speed and often the pin heads driving can be a deadly conbination. They can't say they are just for Sea-doo's so they must say 12' and under......doubt they are targeting the guy trolling spoons with a 4hp. Not that you could not do some damage with 70' house boat!!

Either way the test is online and pretty cheap....not that I have bothered myself

may as well not get a fishing license either. who gets checked anyways?

Our government relies on guys like you to just `roll over`when they introduce bogus laws like the boating license. I bet you figure all new laws must be good, right?

Last time I checked driving a jet ski or house boat drunk in the Shuswap was illegal, even before the boaters license. Gotta love the governent to impose new, redundant, overlapping rules when enforcement of existing laws has always been the problem.

If you think that the boaters license will even reduce the problem of drunkard boaters at the busy lakes then I guess you will deem it as a success. Keep your head firmly planted in the sand, as the Government will do what is in your best interest!

Our government relys on guys like you to just `roll over`when they introduce bogus laws like the boating license. I bet you figure all new laws must be good, right?

Last time I checked driving a jet ski or house boat drunk in the Shuswap was illegal, even before the boaters license. Gotta love the governent to impose new, redundant, overlapping rules when enforcement of existing laws has always been the problem.

If you think that the boaters license will even reduce the problem of drunkard boaters at the busy lakes then I guess you will deem it as a success. Keep your head firmly planted in the sand, as the Government will do what is in your best interest!

I here ya man, did not say it would be effective....just what I heard was the focus. Totally agree about enforcement...they spend money talking about creating new ones when the should spend it enforcing the existing!

The boaters licence wasn't created because of drunks on the Shuswap. At the time there was a large problem in the east with young kids getting on jet skis and injurimg/killing themselves and/or others. They had to have a way

to control who drove what on the water.

It's a poorly thought out law, but at the time it was a quick fix. :goodvsevil():

Call me naive, but I see a silver lining. I'm not sure if this is part of the official reasoning behind it, but to me the PCOC falls under the heading "due diligence". It's fine to say ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I would say it's better that all PCOC holders are aware of the basics of safe boating (who gives way, for instance).

I'll bet the next generation of boaters are noticably safer, having grown up with this.

Call me naive, but I see a silver lining. I'm not sure if this is part of the official reasoning behind it, but to me the PCOC falls under the heading "due diligence". It's fine to say ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I would say it's better that all PCOC holders are aware of the basics of safe boating (who gives way, for instance).

I'll bet the next generation of boaters are noticably safer, having grown up with this.

OK, I'm calling you naive. :)

1. There was no "official reasoning" behind this law. As stated, it was dreamed up to try and appear to be doing something to control the chicklet chompers from doing each other on the recreational lakes of Onterrible, without appearing to be pandering to "The Centre of the Universe". Inland and Maritime law is federal, therefore this was enacted across Canada.

So a cute little test that even a one-eyed old fart who hasn't ever studied or used any maritime rights of way, etc can pass with one error, makes things safe? How about forgotten within two days?

The whole thing was and is utter nonsense. Just a money grab for the feds and their hired "examiner contractors".

j

OK, I'm calling you naive. :)

1. There was no "official reasoning" behind this law. As stated, it was dreamed up to try and appear to be doing something to control the chicklet chompers from doing each other on the recreational lakes of Onterrible, without appearing to be pandering to "The Centre of the Universe". Inland and Maritime law is federal, therefore this was enacted across Canada.

So a cute little test that even a one-eyed old fart who hasn't ever studied or used any maritime rights of way, etc can pass with one error, makes things safe? How about forgotten within two days?

The whole thing was and is utter nonsense. Just a money grab for the feds and their hired "examiner contractors".

j

You are 100% correct here Jack